In the spotlight this week is 101-year-old Peter Fleming
1.You are probably Cumbernauld’s oldest resident. What is the secret of your longevity?
I have always looked after myself so I’ve never really been ill.
2.What’s the most significant historical event of your lifetime?
For me personally, the D Day landings where my brother Tommy was killed.
3 What is your earliest memory?
Seeing my uncle return from World War One.
4. What do you think has been the biggest change in society?
The world is not as friendly a place as it used to be.
5. What is your favourite song?
The traditional Scottish song The Rowan Tree. It was my mother’s favourite song.
6. How optimistic are you about the future of the world?
Not very because there is so much conflict and you wonder what is in front of the kids of today.
7. What part of your life do you look on with most affection?
The time I got married to my wife Elizabeth. She was from Springburn and we were married for nearly 60 years before she passed away.
8. What do you think is the most powerful force in the universe?
I am not a religious man really but it could be religion in its truest sense if people really heeded its message.
9. What place has made the biggest impression on you?
The Isle of Skye - I love the scenery.
10. What motto do you live your life by?
I’ve no motto as such - I’ve just tried to live by the standards my parents set me.