A look through the files of the Kilsyth Chronicle
This week in 2004
ONE-STOP SHOP PLAN: A long-held dream and a lot of hard work for the people of Croy was about to come to fruition with the opening of a ‘one-stop shop’ on the site of the former Miners’ Welfare Club. Plans for the new building included use by Croy Health Resources and Information Service (CHRIS), Croy Silver Band, the choir, boxing club, Croy Historical Society and other groups, plus a sports hall facility.
This week in 1964
EXHIBITION: It was suggested to Kilsyth Town Council that a small exhibition should be set up in the Burgh Hall with plans and perhaps models and photographs to show to the public what the Town Council’s intentions were for the proposed upgrading of the town centre which was to include new housing, shopping precinct in the central area and re-development of The Haugh and welfare grounds.
This week in 1954
INSURANCE POSER: The Rector of Kilsyth Academy intimated to the County Education Committee that he would be taking a party of pupils for a ten-day trip to Paris in April and enquired about insurance costs. The Committee response was that they would accept no responsibility for such an outing and the rector was advised to make his own arrangements for insurance cover and to inform parents accordingly.
This week in 1924
SCHOOL REPORTS: Kilsyth School Mmanagement Committee heard that percentages of absenteeism at local schools were: Kilsyth Academy 7.6, Banknock 16, Chapelgreen 11, Banton 9.9, and St Patrick’s 12.3. They also received an architect’s report stating that defective heating at Chapelgreen School was due not to installation but to negligence in cleaning the boiler properly, adding that the boiler has now been thoroughly cleaned and the place heats up in little over two hours.