In the spotlight this week is Father Gerald Sharkey -
1.You are parish priest of Our Lady and St Helen’s in Condorrat. Best part of the job?
Simply being with my parishioners, listening to them and talking with them.
2.You studied for the priesthood in Rome. What do you miss most?
Obviously the chance to live in such a famous city was wonderful for all the culture and history, but I miss the international environment of the university where I studied.
3. What qualities do you most prize in a friend?
4. And what do you think is the most over-rated virtue?
I don’t think any virtue can be overrated!
5. What’s your view on the new pope?
He’s a great surprise to us all. His initial choices and speeches seem to be an attempt to connect with the wider world.
6. What’s number one on your ‘bucket list?’
To get a motor home and tour the country. With so much to see and do here, I wouldn’t want to go anywhere else.
7. Tell us something about yourself that might surprise us?
If I hadn’t become a priest, I would have liked to become an opera singer.
8. Who is your favourite member of the animal kingdom?
Horses are such noble animals.
9. Describe your ideal day off.
Time family or friends – so long as I’m away from the parish phone and paper-work!
10. What motto do you live your life by?
“The Lord will provide” (Genesis 22:14)