Be aware of carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon Monoxide alarm.
Carbon Monoxide alarm.

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week runs until Sunday, November 24 - and MSP Jamie Hepburn has shown his support for the event.

Sponsored by the charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness, the week seeks to raise awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide.

As carbon monoxide is both colourless and odourless it is harder to detect than other gas leaks. The best prevention against carbon monoxide poisoning is a properly located carbon monoxide alarm. Exposure to carbon monoxide, which produced by the incomplete combustion of any fossil fuel, can cause serious long term health problems or even death.

Mr Hepburn said: “Tragically, every year this highly toxic gas kills and also leaves many with chronic health problems due to being poisoned by low levels of the gas. I would urge everyone to take this week as an opportunity to assess the protections in their home against carbon monoxide poisoning. People should check that their homes and businesses are properly equipped with suitable and appropriately positioned carbon monoxide alarms. Anyone seeking more information can visit the Carbon Monoxide Awareness website. Carbon monoxide-related deaths and illnesses can be prevented through safety and education and I am happy to do what I can to raise awareness. It is a pleasure to help support the cause of developing public awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide.”