A look through the files of the Kilsyth Chronicle
This week in 2003
STREET CLOSURES: Two Kilsyth streets were closed off following a mercury spill. Victoria Place and Victoria Crescent later re-opened. The mercury had been put out as refuse prior to the incident and ended up in a council bin lorry. The council, however, warned members of the public to dispose of any hazardous material properly. Police, firefighters, council officials and Scottish Environmental Agency staff were quickly on the scene and remained throughout most of the incident. There was minimal damage to the environment.
This week in 1993
AWARDS: Five members of a local organisation became Queen’s men. Following a year of hard work, four corporals and one sergeant of 1st Kilsyth Company, The Boys’ Brigade, gained the organisation’s highest award, The Queen’s Badge. And in recognition of their achievement, they were presented with their awards at a special service in Kilsyth Burns and Old Parish Church. The boys were Corporal Andrew Torney, Corporal David Crawford, Sergeant Donald McLachlan, Corporal Scott Tyrrell and Corporal Robin Strain.
This week in 1953
NOISE: Complaints were made about noise from council tenants at a meeting of Kilsyth Town Council. One of complaints stated that dancing and singing was going on all hours of Sunday morning. It was suggested at the meeting that the matter was a breach of the peace for the police.
This week in 1923
PAINT JOB: The Kilsyth Chronicle reports on a statue in the Burngreen receiving a clean lick of paint. The report states: “The lady who adorns the top of the fountain in the Burngreen, Kilsyth, got a fresh white dress (of paint). The pitcher on her head could be doing with a touch-up too.“