Quick-thinking Cumbernauld club steward prevents fire spreading

Golf club steward John Brown in the fire-damaged cellar

Golf club steward John Brown in the fire-damaged cellar

0
Have your say

STEWARD John Brown stopped a fire in Palacerigg Golf Club from escalating into a potetnial disaster.

But John said: “Don’t call me a hero!”

CUMBERNAULD. Palacerigg Golf Club. Cellar fire. The cellar is located between a central heating boiler and 7000l diesal fuel tank.

CUMBERNAULD. Palacerigg Golf Club. Cellar fire. The cellar is located between a central heating boiler and 7000l diesal fuel tank.

John, who lives near the club, heard noises, went to investigate - and discovered a fire jhad been started in the boiler room.

He extinguished the flames, and also gave police a description of a man he had spotted at the scene.

Police are also keen to speak to three teenagers seen at the Hat-Trix complex at Guy’s Meadow when the facility’s beer garden was set alight.

For more on this story, see your News and Chronicle - out now.