Smoke alarms helped prevent potential tragedy

editorial image

TRAGEDY was averted in Cumbernauld Village on Christmas Eve – after a simple but effective safety procedure was followed by residents.

Firefighters rushed to flats in Springfield Road after a blaze broke out in a common close in the early hours.

Residents escaped in good time as they had been alerted to the presence of a potential inferno by smoke detectors they had fitted in their homes.

Firefighters moved in with a hosereel jet then ventilated the close using a large fan.

No-one was injured and damage to the property was described as “slight”.

The incident came as the Scottish Government launched a major campaign to hammer home the importance of having smoke alarms fitted to homes, and regularly tested.

For the full story, see your News and Chronicle – out now.