Two rescued from Condorrat house fire

A 38-year-old man has been arrested in connection with a series of fires in Kirkcaldy
A 38-year-old man has been arrested in connection with a series of fires in Kirkcaldy

A man and a woman are being treated for smoke inhalation following a fire at a house in Cumbernauld this morning (Wednesday, September) 30.

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) crews were sent to Maree Drive in response to a 999 call made shortly before 6:25am, in which the caller reported a cooker on fire.

The incident commander, Watch Manager Alan Carroll, said: “Both appliances from Cumbernauld Community Fire Station reached the scene within five minutes.

“We committed two firefighters in breathing apparatus who encountered a small fire in the ground floor kitchen. They used a dry powder extinguisher to put it out before the flames could spread.”

Firefighters assisted the man and woman who appeared to be suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke and requested an ambulance attend the scene.

The casualties received precautionary check-ups from paramedics but did not need to attend hospital for further treatment.

Both SFRS appliances left the incident around 7:15am but crews will return to the area today to offer advice to residents on how they can reduce the chance of fire striking their home.

Most house fires start in the kitchen and the advice from SFRS is never to step away from a cooker without first removing any pots and pans from the heat and making sure the hob and grill are switched off.

Watch Manager Carroll explained: “We want to help people recognise the risks so they can take very simple steps that prevent fires from happening.

“Even where no-one is hurt a fire in the home can be devastating; causing the loss of irreplaceable possessions and leaving people with emotional trauma that lasts a very long time.

“That’s why we want people to get in touch with us to request a free home fire safety visit. They give local firefighters the chance to make householders aware of common hazards many people don’t know are there.”

He continued: “If a fire does start then early warning is crucial to preventing tragedies as toxic smoke can very quickly spread to other rooms.

“During a home fire safety visit our crews check the property is protected by working smoke alarms and if we find that these are needed then we provide and install them completely free of charge.”

Free home fire safety visits are available from SFRS by calling the freephone number 0800 073 1999, by texting ‘FIRE’ to 80800 or by filling in an online form at www.firescotland.gov.uk.