Arbroath smoked at Broadwood

Clyde 1 Arbroath 0 The Irn-Bru Scottish Football League Championship Second Division

JOHN McCormack got his reign as Clyde manager off to a winning start and winger Alan McFadden hopes his appointment will bring about a fresh start.

The former Maryhill man was handed his first start since August as work commitments meant he was unable to push for a place and hopes to show the new manager he is worthy of regular inclusion.

He said: "It is fresh start for everyone but particularly for myself as my work as a roofer work has kept me away, but I'm fully committing to playing again.

"I haven't started since August and against Arbroath I lasted just under an hour, but the manager said just to go out and do what I could and hopefully I will continue to be in his plans and repay the faith he has shown in me.

"I was on the right wing on Saturday and while I'd prefer to be on the left I'm not too worried, I'll play left-back if need be."

Clyde prevented themselves getting detached at the bottom of the second division as Willie McLachlan's first half goal drew them to within one point of visitors Arbroath.

McFadden (27) added: "Obviously the manager was already here but he has brought in Dave Farrell as his assistant who is already making a big difference in training and is great at offering advice.

"He and the manager have a lot of experience which can only take us forward and it was a good start against Arbroath and we try to win as many games as possible to get off the bottom of the table."

McCormack attempted to stamp his authority on the side by not only bringing back McFadden and Connor Cassidy into the side but also reverting to 4-4-2 and pushing Robert Halliday and Mark Casey into midfield.

The early signs were good as Clyde dominated the early exchanges, while Callum Reidford continued his outstanding form in the Clyde goal.

Arbroath would go on to control the half but after turning Alan Lithgow twice Bryan Scott found Reidford an impregnable barrier.

Much against the run of play a minute before half time Clyde took the lead as McLachlan's free-kick from the left wing was missed by everyone and found its way into the far corner.

At half time the visitors were dealt a blow as the impressive Scott was forced off with a hamstring injury to be replaced by Scott Gates.

A minute from the hour mark Clyde made their own changes as an exhausted McFadden was replaced by Gary Muir and Paul Shields came on for on-loan Dunfermline striker Jordan White who sadly had another ineffectual outing.

The changes seemed to disrupt the lull the game had wandered into and Keith Gibson started to run the midfield finding Robbie Ross at the near post who was only a hairbreadth from poking the ball into the net.

During McFadden's last start Lithgow grabbed two goals against Dumbarton but he didn't trouble Hill in this match as a free header from a McLachlan free kick soared well over.

Back on defensive duties Lithgow fouled Steven Doris on the edge of the box but Gibson's free kick went straight into the wall.

Clyde were backs to the wall with only rare respite such as an Ally Park header that went agonisingly across the face of goal, but it was the home box that was seeing most of the action as Graham blocked a Sellars shot and Reidford did well to push behind an awkward 25-yarder from Gibson.

On 88 minutes Clyde finally mustered their one and only shot on target, but Willie Sawyer's shot from the edge of the box was little more than catching practice for Hill.

Then three minutes into injury time Reidford earned his side a precious three points as pulled off a marvellous save to deny Alan Rattray's back post header.

McCormack was satisfied with his day's work which was just Clyde's fourth win of the season, although their second against Arbroath.

He said: "I think in your debut game it is just important to pick up points as if Arbroath had won they'd have gone seven clear which would have been a massive gap.

"While the players all need to brush up on things I asked them to go out and take their changes and they took one. I thought McLachlan's industry in midfield was excellent and McFadden showed he has something now that he is over his outside problems.

"Late in the game we became a little bit disjointed but to be honest I couldn't really care as it's just fantastic to win. We've been written off, but watch us go now!"

Clyde face Stenhousemuir for the third time on Saturday as they travel to Ochilview.

CLYDE: Reidford, Park, Cassidy, Casey (Stewart 79), Lithgow, Graham, McLachlan, McFadden (Muir 59), Sawyers, White (McLeod 59), Halliday.

ARBROATH: Hill, Redman, McMullan, Rattray, Rennie, Gibson, Doris, Lunan, Sellars, Scott (Gates 46), Ross (Milne 68).

Referee: John McKendrick.

Attendance: 552.

News & Chronicle Man of the Match: Callum Reidford.

On Monday night Livingston visited Broadwood for the third staging of their third round Active Nation Scottish Cup match. Unfortunately the weather was even worse this time and the match was abandoned after just nine minutes due to dense fog.

The fourth attempt to play this match will take place tonight (Wednesday) at 7.45pm.