A new website has been launched to preserve the memory of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), the famous infantry regiment that drew many recruits from Kilsyth and surrounding areas in both world wars.
The regiment - formed during the stormy 17th century conflicts of the Covenanters – often played a pivotal role in Scottish and British history during its three centuries in existence before being disbanded in 1968.
From 1910 onward some battalions of the regiment were specific to Lanarkshire, and many recruits came from the mining communities in and around Kilsyth and Croy.
There is a mass of museum and archive material extant, but the new website offers people seeking specific information straightforward access to information.
More than 7,000 Cameronians were killed during the First World War, including those who names are inscribed on local memorials.
The website, at www.sllccameronians.co.uk, contains a wealth of material on the regiment’s illustrious past, including images in a museum collection and wartime photographs.