The owner of The Coachman Hotel has offered a £1000 reward after a would-be fireraiser tried to torch the property at the weekend.
Around 350 people were in the Parkfoot Street hotel when the fire was discovered in the gents toilets around 12.45am on Sunday.
It is believed that a light fitting had been unscrewed and stuffed with toilet paper before being set alight.
The alarm was raised by a member of the public – a staff member and the deputy manager managed to extinguish the fire before firefighters arrived at the property.
A Police forensic team removed the fixture in question, which is now being tested in a lab.
A shocked and angry owner James Johnson has dug deep into his own pocket to offer the reward to anyone who can identify the person responsible for this cowardly act.
He said: “I’ve offered the reward purely so this person can be stopped from doing this again. It doesn’t bear to think of the damage this could have done to people’s lives or the property.”
The incident has prompted an outcry on social media after hundreds of clients showed their support for the hotel on its Facebook page.