School bus contract suspended after youngsters are filmed being choked by smoke

Our Lady's High pupil covers his face as bus fills with smoke
Our Lady's High pupil covers his face as bus fills with smoke

North Lanarkshire Council has suspended a school bus contract after youngsters were filmed being choked with smoke.

A parent posted the video on the ‘Safety 1st on NLC School Buses’ Facebook page which show pupils from Our Lady’s High covering their mouths as the vehicle appears to film with fumes as they made their way home to Stepps on Monday.

She wrote: “This is how bus company transports our kids‼️ Bus engine fumes/smoke belting inside of bus.

“When it’s fatal I’m sure North Lanarkshire Council will listen or maybe when it’s their child.”

The woman claimed the bus, operated by McNairn’s Coaches, is 28-year-old – last year the council introduced a maximum age of 20 years for any vehicles used by the council for the transport of children or adults.

The council confirmed the McNairn’s contract had been suspended.

A spokesman said: “The safety of all our pupils is of paramount importance.

“SPT manage all school transport contracts on behalf of the council and a meeting took place between them and the bus provider to discuss the incident.

“A replacement bus has been provided.”

McNairn’s Coaches said they are helping with the investigation.