Bully Wee share points with City

Clyde 1Elgin City 1The Irn-Bru Scottish Football League Third Division

Wednesday, 6th October 2010, 11:31 am
Updated Wednesday, 6th October 2010, 11:31 am

CLYDE midfielder Nicki Paterson says it was important his new side took something from their match with Elgin City on Saturday as he pretends his debut against Montrose never happened.

Paterson, who started his career at Motherwell and Hamilton Acdemical, before crossing the Atlantic to play in America, has signed with the Bully Wee until January as he awaits a new visa to allow him to play with AC St Louis in the newly formed United States Soccer Federation next season.

Paterson said: "The Montrose result was just a freak so I just tried to forget it had ever happened and looked on the Elgin game as being my real debut.

"I thought we were on top until we gave away the penalty but credit to the guys for coming back and making sure we at least took a point.

"I wasn't all that happy with my own performance and need to concentrate on keeping my shape and in position but there is plenty of talent in this team we just perhaps have to learn how to play at this level.

"We aren't a team who will go out to kick people but maybe we need to learn a wee bit more gamesmanship and battle to compete with the more physical sides.

"We are creating chances but just need a break and going into the international break it was important that we got something to put Montrose behind us and while three points would obviously have been better hopefully we can use this as a springboard to victory when we return to Angus in our next game and start afresh against Arbroath."

Clyde head coach Stuart Millar reverted back to 4-4-2 with Kevin Finlayson, John Stewart and Willie Sawyers recalled to the line-up and Jordan Allan replacing J. C. Hutchison in goal.

And Finlayson seemed determined to prove his manger's faith as he tormented the Elgin defence putting in two good crosses for Stewart who couldn't quite take advantage of the service.

Elgin then bombarded the Clyde goal with a series of corners but couldn't break through and the Bully Wee had another scare as Brian Cameron got to a Craig Gunn through ball just before Allan but his toe-poke rolled inches wide.

Clyde themselves came within inches of scoring as Scott Bain pushed Adam Strachan's shot onto the post and Bain denied Finlayson as the half ended goalless.

Bain proved to be a thorn in Clyde's side as he pulled off a brilliant save to deny Sawyers's downward header.

Then on the hour mark, not for the first time this season, Clyde were made to pay for failing to convert as Murray Henderson brought down Barry Wilson in the box and the former Inverness winger scored the penalty himself.

Elgin full-back David Niven was lucky only to receive a yellow card for plowing into the back of Finlayson ten minutes later but it was the end of the game for the winger who went off in a treble substitution with Stewart and Sawyers to be replaced by Neil McGowan, Connor Stevenson and Bryan Dingwall.

On 75 minutes Clyde got a penalty of their own, Alan Lithgow was rugby tackled in the box and although referee Greg Aitken didn't think that was foul seconds later he judged Jamie Duff had handled and Adam Strachan squeezed in the spot kick.

Two minute from time a good passing move gave John Sweeney a glorious chance at the back post to win it, but he could only fire straight at Bain who saved well with his foot.

CLYDE: Allan, Park, Waddell, Paterson, Lithgow, Henderson, Finlayson (McGowan 74), Stewart (Stevenson 74), Sawyers (Dingwall 74), Sweeney, Strachan.

ELGIN CITY: Bain, Niven, Dempsie, Inglis, Duff, Frizzel, Gunn, O'Donoghue, Cameron (Millar 83), Nicolson, Wilson (Crooks 64).

Referee: Greg Aitken.

Attendance: 881.

News & Chronicle Man of the Match: Kevin Finlayson.