City sickener for Colts . . . but ladies through to face Hibs in last eight of Scottish

Cumbernauld Colts line up before their match with Edinburgh City
Cumbernauld Colts line up before their match with Edinburgh City

Cumbernauld Colts suffered a second late sickener in four days as a last minute goal gave defending Lowland League champions Edinburgh City a 2-1 win over the Cumbernauld side at Broadwood on Saturday.

The home side started brightly and took the lead midway through the first half with a second goal in four days for Stephen O’Neill.

The Colts midfield and defence squeezed their opponents, winning the ball high up the park with O’Neill beat two players before curling the ball past the helpless ’keeper into the top corner from the angle of the six-yard box.

As the game approached the half-things were looking positive for the home side, but as was the case on Wednesday they conceded an equaliser on 40 minutes.

A long ball over the head of Kirwin was collected by Allum who pulled the ball down with his right before checking back along the 18-yard line and unleashing an unstoppable drive with his left into the top corner.

It was a body blow for the Colts, who had been the match for their more experienced visitors throughout the half, but worse was to follow in a second half which saw both teams have spells on top.

As the clock ticked to 90 minutes the home side looked the more likely but there was to be heartbreak when an uncharacteristic mistake by Kirkwin allowed Allum in to drill into the bottom corner on the angle from 12 yards.

The goal sparked wild celebrations from the visiting contingent but was harsh on the home side who deserved at least a point for their efforts.

However there was better news for the Colts Ladies side who made it through to the quarter-finals of the Scottish Cup for the first time with a 4-0 away win over Edinburgh Caledonia.

The visitors went ahead on 13 minutes when the influential Rebecca Young and Lauren Kerr passed to Michelle Keating just outside the box directly in front of goal. Keating turned her marker and slotted past Taylor to open the scoring.

McSherry then had a couple of chances to double the visitors’ advantage. She struck the bar from close range and Taylor made impressive saves.

The away side inevitably doubled their lead midway through the half when Young beat several players and laid the ball back to Gillian Downie. The midfielder looked up and picked her spot in the far corner with a fabulous finish.

The game was effectively won just after the half hour. A quick break forward saw Young finish from a similar position to Downie, again beating Taylor in the home goal.

At half-time McSherry’s message to her side was to play the second half as they had the first and not let their levels slip.

Understandably, having put in as much effort in the first half, the tempo of the game from the visitors did drop after the break.

This let the home side back into the game, allowing them time to create several chances. All of which were dealt with by the Cumbernauld defence.

The fourth and final goal of the game came two minutes into added time. Lynsay Guthrie finishing another Colts attack from just outside the box.

After the match McSherry said she was proud of the way he squad had played.

She added: “We had to make some enforced changes to personnel as we rested some players that were carrying niggles and also to get others some much needed game time.

“It’s a major achievement getting to the last eight of the cup and we’ll look forward to the draw this week. The clean sheet was extremely pleasing too.”

Colts face a tough test in the quarter-finals after Monday’s draw gave them a home tie with joint Premier Division leaders Hibernian.