clyde hit five but lose three

Sean Higgins celebrates after scoring Clyde's fourth
Sean Higgins celebrates after scoring Clyde's fourth

Clyde were the victors against Cowdenbeath in a heart stopping encounter that finished with the resounding score line of 5-3.

The Bully Wee were largely in control of the match - the visitors pegging the score back on two occasions but they could only hold on for a combined five minutes before Clyde took the lead again.

The first goal for Clyde came in the 13th minute from a Bryan Easton free-kick. His effort from the edge of the area whistled high into the box and towards Chris Smith who got away from his man and bulleted a header straight into the back of the net.

Clyde were on the ascendancy here, looking dangerous when attacking what was a very haphazard Cowdenbeath defence. To counter this, opposition manager Liam Fox changed the shape of the team and it paid off in spades come the half hour mark.

They were awarded a penalty after Gary Glen was taken down by Ewan McNeil in the box. Right back Dean Brett converted the penalty - and although John Gibson dived the right way, the ball just slipped past his grasp to make it 1-1.

Barry Ferguson’s men responded in resounding fashion however, scoring in the 34th minute, just moments after Cowdenbeath’s equaliser.

Peter McDonald latched onto Martin McNiff’s earlier effort and his shot was parried towards Sean Higgins who took advantage of the rebound and slammed it home.

Cowdenbeath equalised once more in the 42nd minute courtesy of a wonderful strike from Brian Ross - his 25-yard strike slotting past Gibson and into the near side of the net.

But again, the Fifers could only hold on for a matter of minutes before Clyde took the lead again.

Cowdenbeath defender Craig Sives touched it past his own keeper after a deadly long throw from Scott Linton which meant the Bully Wee went into the break 3-2 up.

Clyde learned from their mistakes come the second half and got the fourth goal of the afternoon in the 59th minute.

A brilliantly worked passing move made light work of Cowdenbeath’s defence, with Matthew Flynn finding himself one on one before passing to Higgins who grabbed his second goal by sliding it past David McGurn.

A fifth goal for Clyde came in the 73rd minute, again, thanks to an Easton free kick. Smith got his second of the afternoon when he caught Easton’s driven in ball, extending his foot to tap it into the back of the net.

The Fifers got a late goal back in the 84th minute thanks to an own goal from Clyde substitute David Gormley - but the damage was done and Clyde move up to third in the table.