Comfortable win over Petershill for United

Cumbernauld United v Petershill
Cumbernauld United v Petershill

Cumbernauld United 3

Petershill 0

New Coin Holdings West of Scotland Cup

Round 3

United produced one of their best performances of the season at Guy’s Meadow on Saturday to beat Super Premier side Petershill and reach the quarter finals of the West of Scotland Cup. The win was more convincing than the scoreline suggests, the Cumbernauld team could have and should have been five or six goals ahead before half time, such was their superiority over the side from the league above them. The three goals in the opening 25 minutes, however, were enough to put the Springburn team out of the Cup.

United attacked from the first whistle and a Danny Boyle header, from a James Brown long throw-in, went near. The locals were not long in going ahead and when another Boyle header found Dylan McGuigan, the young winger crashed a right foot shot past Tom McLeay in the Petershill goal - time five minutes.

United were playing some great football and it was no surprise when in the 12th minute from a cross, a Dylan McGuigan header hit the crossbar and there was the ever alert Gary Carroll following up to send the ball into the net.

Petershill’s Kieran Daw, in a visiting attack, tried his luck but his effort did not trouble Barry Fraser in the United goal. A second attempt by the same player did test Fraser but the Cumbernauld keeper saved comfortably. The United custodian demonstrated safe hands throughout the Cup tie and has only conceded one goal in the past five games.

United’s third goal was not long in arriving. Twenty five minutes were on the clock when a Gavin Mackie cross from the left was played by Scott McHaffie to Davie Dickson who made no mistake firing the ball past keeper McLeay.

Shortly afterwards Dylan McGuigan should have piled more agony on the Petershill defence when he was sent clear. Unfortunately his effort to score went past the post.

The home side were rampant and were completely outplaying their Super League opponents. Some of the football from United was breathtaking to which the visitors had no answer.

Scott Murphy then took centre stage with two efforts which brought out magnificent saves from the Petershill keeper to keep the scoreline respectable prior to the interval.

After the break the visitors came out in more determined fashion but it was United who should have added to their lead when Gary Carroll turned in the box but only managed to shoot past with only the keeper to beat.

Ryan Sullivan then suffered an injury and had to be replaced by 18 year old Blair Malcolm as Petershill applied a bit of pressure. The United defence however, was able for anything the visitors threw at them with Danny Boyle, Tony Fraser and James Brown rock steady as usual.

Scott McHaffie was then replaced with Ross Foley and just afterwards Dylan McGuigan was substituted by Chris Zok as United comfortably contained the Petershill efforts.

As the game drew to a close a great Foley, Murphy, Zok move gave Scott Murphy a sniff of goal but his attempt went over the crossbar.

A magnificent victory for Cumbernauld who will now travel to face Arthurlie, another Super Premier Club, in the quarter finals on Wednesday, May 13, kick off 7pm.

This Saturday, May 9, United entertain Largs Thistle at Guy’s Meadow in a league game kick off 2pm. Largs are fighting hard to retain their place in the Super League first division.

On Monday, May 11, Forth Wanderers come to Guy’s Meadow in the Euroscot Eng Central League Cup, second round, kick off 7pm. United reached the final of this competition last season.

United: B. Fraser, Sullivan, Brown, T. Fraser, Boyle, Mackie, McHaffie, Murphy, Carroll, Dickson, McGuigan. Subs: Zok, Gibson, Foley, Malcolm.

Petershill: McLeay, Irvine, Girvan, McCabe, Stevenson, Elliott, Cusack, Daw, Daly, McGladrigan, Clark. Subs: Sally, Burke, Kennedy, McNeil.