Cumbernauld Colts 1 Vale of Leithen 3: Colts go down again

Cumbernauld Colts went down despite taking an early lead against Vale of Leithen
Cumbernauld Colts went down despite taking an early lead against Vale of Leithen

Cumbernauld Colts suffered another disappointing defeat as they went down 3-1 at home to Vale of Leithen on Saturday.

Colts were looking to get back on the rails following two consecutive losses to teams below them in the Lowland League table.

And the game started well as the Cumbernauld side created a couple of chances early in the match and hit the woodwork before Jamie Broadfoot slotted the ball home well following a nice passage of play to give them the lead.

Minutes later the home support thought it was 2-0 when a header inside the six yard box by Hunter was cleared off the line and onto the bar by a Vale defender. Colts were on top at this point but were unable to capitalise.

It was a decent game with both sides playing some good flowing football, but the visitors stepped up their efforts immediately and were rewarded with an equaliser.

A long ball out of defence to attack saw the big powerful visiting striker Stevens show a great turn of speed and strength to escape the retreating Colts defenders, round the advancing Sam George in the Colts goal and slot home from a narrow angle.

Worse was to follow for Colts as the half drew to a close. There appeared to be little danger from a speculative ball into the box, but neither Andy Ward nor George dealt with it, leaving Atkinson with a simple tap-in from close range.

The second period was another even encounter with both sides having periods of possession without creating any clear changes.

But it was Vale who got the crucial next score, giving them a two-goal cushion.

However Colts will be disappointed with their defending again after Stevens picked up the ball outside the centre circle and was allowed to advance forward unchallenged to coolly pass the ball past the advancing George.

Gavin Lachlan had a goalbound header deflected onto the bar and Jonathan Black hit a post but it wasn’t Colts’ day.