Cumbernauld Colts rise to meet University challenge in Scottish Cup debut

Michael Oliver makes history by netting Cumbernauld Colts' first ever Scottish Cup goal
Michael Oliver makes history by netting Cumbernauld Colts' first ever Scottish Cup goal

In a season of historic firsts for Cumbernauld Colts, Sunday’s first ever Scottish Cup tie with Glasgow University was perhaps the most symbolic yet.

And a proud day for all those who have been working hard Colts a senior side produced the perfect result.

The men in yellow and blue made the most of the occasion to put themselves in the hat for the second round.

Colts made two changes in the starting lineup.

Michael Oliver started at centre-back with Robbie Duncan right back while up top Jonathan Black replaced the unavailable Selkirk.

As the game settled Jamie Broadfoot was first to force either ’keeper into a save, a rasping half volley from 25 yards with his left stinging the palms of the Uni ’keeper.

Though early in the game it was to be a sign of things to come for the stopper who made a string of fine saves throughout.

But Colts’ pressure was to tell just beyond the 20-minute mark as they took the lead from a corner.

Broadfoot swung in a superb ball from the right and Oliver ran onto it to volley powerfully with his right from eight yards with the ’keeper, despite getting a touch, helpless to keep it out.

It was the breakthrough Colts were looking for with Oliver delighted to make a little bit of history of his own by scoring the first-ever Scottish Cup goal for the club.

Colts should have been celebrating a two goal lead as fine interplay between Broadfoot and Duncan released Stephen O’Neill inside the area

His high centre took out the defence and ’keeper and found Jamie Barclay unmarked six yards out, but the big midfielder couldn’t sort his feet out and lifted the ball over the bar first time on the volley when it looked a certain goal.

Colts remained 1-0 up at the break with Sam George in the home goal a virtual spectator for most of the half as the home side took control of the tie.

As the home side continued to press Richard Kirwan latched onto a loose ball centrally before lifting over the head of a defender with his right and firing a volley with his left towards goal which sailed narrowly over.

The full-back was then involved in the move which led to a home penalty, Barclay wiped out by the ’keeper at the back post as he won a header back into the centre of goal.

But Oliver, generally reliable from the spot, saw his kick saved well by the keeper and although Broadfoot was first to the rebound, the defence smuggled away his centre.

Broadfoot then took a pass from Kirwan, turned his man and unleashed a powerful strike from 30 yards which smashed off the crossbar with the keeper helpless.

A second was coming though and when it did it was a first for the club for Alex Tilley, moving in from the left and linking with Broadfoot before firing at goal with his right, a slight deflection taking it away from the keeper and into the corner.

And it was quickly three for the home side, Broadfoot grabbing the goal his performance deserved as he curled a free-kick around the wall from 20 yards and into the bottom corner.

Andy Ward rose at the back post to power a Broadfoot corner towards the bottom corner, the ’keeper making another excellent save to turn it round the post, before Kirwan and Tilley linked on the left to square to the edge of the box.

Broadfoot stepped over the ball, allowing the onrushing David Grant to place a shot towards the bottom corner which the keeper turned around the post to keep the score at three.

It was a fantastic occasion for the club marked by a fine performance and a comfortable win with only a very good goalkeeping preventing a more convincing win.