Cumbernauld sunk by Shotts

Cumbernauld were unable to complete the double over Shotts
Cumbernauld were unable to complete the double over Shotts

Cumbernauld United suffered a second defeat in three days as they went down 4-0 at Shotts Bon Accord on Monday night.

John Queen’s side got the better of Shotts nine days previously with a 2-0 win over their Super League First Division rivals at Guy’s Meadow.

But there was no Shotts double to celebrate as two goals in each half earned the Hannah Park side a convincing victory.

Cumbernauld United were unable to make it four wins in a row as they went down 1-0 to Greenock Juniors at Guy’s Meadow on Saturday.

After their recent good form United were expected to win - but never really got going after a disastrous start as they produced one of their poorest performances of the season in a scrappy Super League First Division encounter.

Greenock, on the other hand, were up for the contest and in truth deserved to take the full three points.

In a lively start to the game, Cumbernauld had a chance to go ahead but Dom O’Halloran’s shot on the turn blazed over.

United were to pay dearly for this missed opportunity in the fifth minute when, following a defensive mishap, Greenock winger Kenneth Munro raced up the wing and sent over a low cross which found striker Craig Brown.

The Greenock hitman’s shot from a few yards out was brilliantly parried by United’s on-loan goalkeeper Jamie McGowan but Brown followed up to net the rebound.

Seconds later McGowan had to make another great stop to prevent Brown scoring a second goal.

United’s defence was struggling to cope with Greenock’s breakaway attacks and it was 20 minutes before the home team really threatened.

A David Dickson free-kick found Alan Clark but his effort was saved by Greenock ’keeper Ryan MacWilliams, one of the very few shots the visiting he had to deal with.

Shots from Stevie Millar and Kris Irvine did not trouble the Greenock custodian.

On the half hour mark another ball across goal from the dangerous Munro caused trouble in the Cumbernauld goalmouth and James Brown had to make a saving clearance.

McGowan then had to make a couple more good saves prior to the interval to keep the score reasonable.

Mikey McLaughlin came on for an injured Scott McHaffie after the break in time to see Dylan McGuigan shoot past from a Stevie Mullen pass.

The diminutive midfielder was prominent at this stage but after a Ross Foley effort was blocked, Greenock were awarded a penalty when Brown bundled a visiting attacker off the ball.

Greenock sub Paul Scott’s spot kick, however, was brilliantly saved by McGowan.

In a match riddled with free-kicks, a result of an over officious referee, United just could not find any sort of rhythm.

Manager John Queen sent on Dale Clark and Simon Eeles to try and change things but United were still struggling to find their form and Greenock’s time wasting tactics ensured that they would return to Clydeside with maximum points.

United play Blantyre Vics in the league at Guy’s Meadow on Wednesday and then travel to Alexandria on Saturday to meet Vale of Leven in the League Cup, second round, kick off 2pm.

The supporters’ bus will leave Guy’s Meadow at 11.25am and the town centre at 11.30.