Cumbernauld unbeaten run ended by Irvine Meadow

Cumbernauld found the going tough against Irvine Meadow
Cumbernauld found the going tough against Irvine Meadow

Cumbernauld United suffered their first league defeat in almost two months when they went down 3-0 at home to Irvine Meadow.

United were unchanged from the previous week’s cup victory but were unable to continue their good league form and can have no complaints with the outcome against a workmanlike Meadow side.

On a heavy Guy’s Meadow surface it was the visitors who signalled their intention as early as the fifth minute when a cross from Baird was headed wide by Graham Boyd.

United’s response was a neat passing move with Simon Eeles’ final ball being gathered comfortably by Meadow keeper Shaun Newman.

The healthy crowd were seeing some decent end-to-end football under difficult conditions and it was the visitors who opened their account when a free kick from the left saw Boyd unmarked to direct a powerful header past Connor O’Boyle in the United goal.

Worse was to follow for the home side when United defender Scott McHaffie retired injured after a tackle by Graham Muir with Ross Foley taking over at full-back and Ryan Sullivan reverting to sweeper.

United had plenty of possession but were unable to stamp their authority in midfield and it was Meadow who increased their lead after 35 minutes when the unmarked Ryan Begley headed home from a corner with the United defence posted missing.

United were the first to threaten at the start of the second half when good play from John Higgins produced an inviting cross but unfortunately the danger was cut out by the impressive Newman.

Higgins was again involved in the next United attack when he collected a pass 25 yards from goal and his effort hit the outside of the post.

But with United looking like getting back into the game, they pressed the self destruct button when, from a poor United corner, the visitors countered quickly and a cross from the left somehow found its way into the net with Boyd claiming a touch.

There was no way back now for the home team, although Loudon should have scored from a McCabe cutback but the young forward was unable to hit the target with the goal at his mercy.

This was a below par performance from United, taking nothing away from the Meadow who came with a plan and deservedly collected the points.

United will need to up their game next week when they travel to meet Shettleston.