Cumbernauld United and Kilsyth Rangers on form ahead of derby

Cumbernauld celebrate a goal at Whitletts last Saturday (pic; Morwood Photography)
Cumbernauld celebrate a goal at Whitletts last Saturday (pic; Morwood Photography)

Junior sides Cumbernauld United and Kilsyth Rangers will both go into Saturday's derby clash at Duncansfield in winning form.

Cumbernauld bounced back from last week's first defeat of the season to thump title rivals Cambuslang Rangers 5-1 at Guy's Meadow on Wednesday night.

The win, against a side level on points with them at the start of play, sent Andy Frame's side two points clear at the top of the Championship table after four wins in their opening five matches.

But Kilsyth are also on the rise after a stuttering start and moved up to fifth in the table with a 2-1 win at Petershill.

Cumbernauld went ahead against Cambuslang through a 26th minute goal from in-form striker Scott Thomson.

Thomson then added a second just two minutes later from a pinpoint Paddy McCabe pass, but Cambuslang pulled one back 10 minutes from half-time through Ciaron Smith.

However United restored their two-goal advantage when Thomson completed his hat-trick 11 minutes into the second half.#

Thomson took his tally to four in the 71st minute and Kieran McAleenan added a fifth for a now rampant Cumbernauld five minutes later.

Meanwhile Kilsyth, after taking just two points from their opening three games, have now won their last two.

And their win at Petershill came despite having to overcome the loss of their keeper through injury with an outfield player forced to take over.

Petershill had the better of the early exchanges, but a mistake by Petershill keeper Dean Trainor gave Franny Kelly the chance to put Kilsyth ahead midway through the first half.

Rangers remained ahead at the interval but eight minutes into the second half, Kilsyth keeper David Tait, who had already needed treatment in the first period, went down again with a shoulder injury and was unable to continue.

With no substitute keeper on the bench Ross Tierney had to don the jersey. Petershill were quick to take advantage and just five minutes later Scott Anson puled them level.

It was looking like a difficult last half hour for Rangers but to their credit they kept on attacking and were rewarded two minutes from time when a good ball in was met by Jon Tully who got the vital touch to give Rangers all three points.

Saturday's derby will be the second between the sides this season, Kilsyth edging home 2-1 in the opening Sectional League Cup - also at Duncansfield - last month.