Cumbernauld United boss quits after seven years

John Queen (in tracksuit bottoms) looks on during Cumbernauld's Central League Cup final with Clydebank in 2014
John Queen (in tracksuit bottoms) looks on during Cumbernauld's Central League Cup final with Clydebank in 2014

Cumbernauld United boss John Queen quit after Saturday’s 4-0 home defeat by Yoker - but insisted the match had no bearing on his decision.

The United manager stepped down after seven years in charge at Guy’s Meadow, but said he had made up his mind to go even before Saturday’s match.

Queen said there was no animosity about his departure - he and club chairman George Watson remain close friends - but that he felt he had “come to the end of his shelf life” as United boss.

He considered leaving last year after a summer of major upheaval and mass player deparures but agreed to stay on to steady the ship.

He said: “George asked me to hang on and try to make sure we stayed in the Super League and we managed to do that comfortably.

“If it hadn’t been for my relationship with George I’d have gone sooner. But I knew it was time for a change.”

Queen guided United to victory in the Sectional League Cup, a place in the final of the Central League Cup and a semi-final spot in the West of Scotland Cup.

But he says his greatest achievement was leading the side to the Central First Division title and into the Super League.

He said: “Guys like Tony McAnally, now at Pollok, and Stevie Rankin and Willie Jamieson had spells in charge at Cumbernauld and couldn’t get them ut the division.

“We finished above a Shotts side who went on to win the Scottish Cup tie the next season.

“I went straight fr0m playing for Cumbernauld to bering an ‘interim’ manager - that was some interim period.

“I had never wanted to be a manager and it has been an incredible period in my life.

“But it’s time to go. Howerver whoever takes over will be working for a great club with fantastic facilities and I wish them all the best.”

Club chairman George Watson stressed the parting of the ways had been entirely amicable.

He said: “We’ve had seven brilliant years with John. We’ve been to two cup finals and a semi-final and won a league, but we felt on both sides that the time was right for a change.

“John has been fantastic for the club as a player and a manager and we wish him all the best for the future.

“We would like a successor in place as soon as we can but will take the time we need to make sure it is the right appointment.”

Assistant manager George Shaw has been put in charge on an interim basis and will take the team for Saturday’s match with Irvine Victoria.