Full points for Gers

editorial image

Kilsyth Rangers 2 Hurlford 1

Stagecoach West of Scotland Super League First Division

THE visitors were on the attack almost straight away when Adam sent in a 25-yard shot, but his effort went narrowly wide of the Kilsyth goal.

It was Hurlford that had all the early chances and they came close to breaking the deadlock on 16 minutes when Schooler hit the base of the post with Duke beaten.

Kilsyth were struggling to put together any kind of attacking move for most of the first half.

On 23 minutes Hurlford striker Cameron seemed to dive in the box looking to win a penalty, but the ref waved away his claims. However, as the ball broke outside the area Doyle was harshly adjudged to have pushed a Hurlford forward. If there was any contact it was outside the box but the referee pointed to the spot. Wilson stepped up and fired the ball low past Duke in the Kilsyth goal. The visitors were good value for their lead at this stage.

Kilsyth seemed to be fired up by the controversial penalty and Hughes had an effort cleared off the line and McAteer had a good chance at the back post but his header went wide. On 40 minutes Cameron went round Duke but hit the post, a big let off for Kilsyth. The teams went in with Hurlford leading 1-0 at half-time.

Kilsyth’s management team made a tactical change and moved McPeake in to midfield to give some extra dig in the engine room. Dalrymple had a couple of good runs but no end product from them.

Hurlford made two changes with Ryan and Frame replacing the dangerous pair of Walker and Schooler.

Kilsyth were certainly making more of a game of it in the second half and levelled on 57 minutes when McEwen’s shot deflected to the feet of Barclay who coolly slotted the ball home.

McEwen was subbed shortly afterwards, replaced by Martin. The Kilsyth sub was soon involved but Markie saved at his feet. Kilsyth then brought on Dolan to replace McAteer. Kilsyth were pressing for a winner but almost got undone by a Hurlford counter-attack, Michael Duke made the save to keep the scores level.

The final stages of the game were to be played in monsoon like rain. With only two minutes remaining Dolan picked the ball up wide on the right wing, he cut inside beating two defenders before sending a left foot shot past Markie and into the top corner. Kilsyth were now in front for the first time in the game. Hurlford pressed forward for an equaliser but were denied when Duke made a great diving save and Rangers picked up another three valuable points..

KILSYTH: Duke, McPeake, Carr, Doyle, Hughes, McLellan, McAteer, Waters, Barclay, McEwen, Dalrymple. Subs: Dolan, Martin, Caine, Scott, Dempsey, Kelly, Kidd (gk).

HURLFORD: Markie, McPhee, Bain, Doolan, Brown, Wilson, Walker, Adam, Cunningham, Cameron, Schooler. Subs: Rielly, Ryan, D. Nimmo, S. Nimmo, Frame, Dunlop, Carswell (gk).

This Saturday (September 3) Kilsyth are away to Rutherglen Glencairn, kick-off 2 pm.