Full points for Rangers as they chop down The Wood

Kilsyth Rangers V Thorniewood United'26 2 11'KG
Kilsyth Rangers V Thorniewood United'26 2 11'KG

Kilsyth Rangers 1 Thorniewood United 0

Central District League

First Division

THIS was a very good win for Rangers against one of their main promotion rivals and also a great game for the fans of both teams, although it was the Kilsyth supporters who had most to celebrate in the end.

With league leaders St Anthony having a blank day Rangers have closed the gap at the top and are now in a good position going forward.

It was a fairly even start to the game although the visitors were first to produce a real opening – a great effort from Morrison just skimming the bar.

A free-kick award gave them another chance and a well struck shot came off the wall and produced a good save from Duke.

As the first half progressed Rangers began to become more prominent and began to get a few chances, Joe Barclay having a header cleared from the line. There was plenty of effort, and not a little good play, from two pretty evenly matched sides. Both had further chances to open the scoring before half-time, but it came with the scoresheet still blank.

Rangers made the better opening to the second half with David Waters producing some good runs down the right, one gave McAteer a good opening but he sent his shot high. Joe Barclay broke away and although he was held back running into the box he recovered and was ready to shoot when dispossesed by Mathers.

Just after the hour mark another good run by Waters and pass to Flannery ended with the latter scoring the vital goal. Paddy is on a great scoring streak at the moment and this was another important goal for him.

Rangers were clearly on top now but could not get the second goal that would have made the game safe.Then with just over five minutes remaining a ball into Rangers’ penalty area was headed away by Doyle but in doing so he was in collision with a Thorniewood player who went to ground. A penalty kick said the referee, although it looked a fair challenge. Mullen sent the spot-kick hard and low to Duke’s right, but the keeper guessed correctly and made a brilliant save. Mullen, following up, sent the rebound well over the bar.

There was further effort, and a couple of changes, but Rangers had secured the points and now lie tucked in, just behind Thorniewood in the table, but with two games in hand. The title race is becoming very interesting.

KILSYTH RANGERS: Duke, Waters, Carr, Doyle, Hogg, McPeake, Livingstone, McLellan, J. Barclay, Flannery, McAteer. Subs: Dolan, McGinty, Kelly, D. Barclay, Hamilton, Tait (g/k).

THORNIEWOOD UNITED: Mathers, Brown, Daly, Newman, Wharton, Low, Morrison, Crawley, Mullen, Stewart, Quinn. Subs: O’Neil, Hughes, Devlin, Faulds, Cunning, Lafferty, McGowan.

Rangers’ next match is a home league match against Shettleston this Saturday. Kick-off at Duncansfield is 2pm.