Gers take full points

editorial image

Kilsyth Rangers............ 5

Dalry Thistle.............. 1

Stagecoach West of Scotland Super League First Division

KILSYTH went on the attack from the off. However, with barely two minutes on the clock Dalry keeper Treacey launched a clearance over the Kilsyth defence, which Gilhooley latched on to and sent the ball past Duke to give the visitors an early lead.

Dalry could have doubled their lead a couple of minutes later in an almost identical move, this time Barbour couldn’t take advantage of some slack home defending.

Kilsyth weren’t behind for long. In the 11th Dalrymple fired a stunning strike past Treacey from fully 25 yards on the angle. Two minutes later the same player came close again when his shot was deflected on to the crossbar.

Kilsyth were now starting to turn the screw on Dalry but the visitors were dangerous on the counter-attack with their defenders looking to play the long ball whenever they had the chance. The home side had a succession of corners and had Dalry penned in but couldn’t take advantage. The sides went in level at the break.

Early in the second half Kilsyth had an appeal for a penalty when McClung was bundled over in the box but the referee gave the free-kick to Dalry.

Within five minutes of the restart McPeake turned his defender and coolly slotted the ball into the corner of the net to give Kilsyth the lead,

Dalry made a change bringing McIntyre on. The visitors had chances to get back in the game, the best of these falling to Maitland who sent his free header wide.

Dalrymple was looking dangerous for Kilsyth and forced Dalry keeper Treacey into several top class saves. Just after the hour mark one of these Dalrymple shots was turned over the bar for a corner. The resulting corner kick dropped to McPeake inside the six-yard box and he finished with a classy flick to put Kilsyth 3-1 up.

It was now all Kilsyth and McClung was looking lively upfront, making some good off the ball runs,

On 73 minutes Dalrymple went on another run driving in to the box, his run was illegally halted by a Dalry defender and a penalty was awarded. Dalrymple himself grabbed the ball and placed it on the spot, He went for power but Treacey saved the kick, the ball broke back to Dalrymple again but he somehow managed to fire over from almost under the crossbar.

Kilsyth made some changes bringing on Dolan, McEwan and Martin. Tony Martin was involved almost instantly, he was clattered on the half way line and things threatened to boil over but the referee got the situation in hand. With ten minutes remaining Calum Scott played the ball to Martin inside the box and he finished with a typically controlled shot.

The game seemed to be petering out but there was to be a further goal in stoppage time. Duke sent a long clearance over the Dalry defence and Martin managed to break free of his marker and round Treacey to make it 5-1.

The match was preceded by a minute’s silence in remembrance of former Kilsyth player Alex Sherry.

KILSYTH RANGERS: Duke, Scott, Hughes, Doyle, Caine, McLellan, Kelly, McPeake, Barclay, McClung and Dalrymple. Subs: McEwan, Martin, McAteer, Dolan, Reid and Dempsey.

DALRY THISTLE: Treacey, Holden, Reid, Russell, Patterson, Maitland, Todd, Black, Gilhooley, Barbour and McKenna. Subs: Davidson, Pearce, McIntyre, Docherty and Graham.

Kilsyth travel to Girvan next week in the league, a limited number of seats are available on the team bus. If you would like to book one of these seats contact a member of the committee.