Gormley to the four as Clyde romp past Berwick and charge up to second

David Gormley runs through the Berwick defence.
David Gormley runs through the Berwick defence.

Four goals by David Gormley helped Clyde to an impressive 5-0 away win over struggling Berwick at Shielfield on Saturday.

Gormley, who also had a hand in his side’s other goal, became the first Clyde player to score four in a game for over 33 years, the last being Danny Masterson in 1982.

The win lifted the Bully Wee to second place in Scottish Division 2, whilst at the same time sent Rangers crashing to the foot of the table.

Clyde boss Barry Ferguson later revealed that he was ‘delighted’ with the result, but said there was no time to get excited as a lot of hard work still lies ahead for the Broadwood side.

“The effort and commitment was there for everyone to see,” said Ferguson.

“On that form David Gormley can score goals for fun, but I am still not fully happy with his game. He needs to learn to concentrate for the entire 90 minutes.”

Berwick manager John Coughlin was in charge of a home game for the first time since replacing Colin Cameron and he said afterwards he was ‘embarrassed’ at the performance.

“I knew the job was tough when I took it on,” he said, “but it’s just got a lot tougher.”

Coughlin knew his side were in for a difficult afternoon when Clyde had the ball in the Berwick net after only 70 seconds, through Scott Ferguson, but the effort was ruled out for offside.

Two minutes later Rangers’ skipper Jonny Fairbairn headed straight into keeper John Gibson’s arms from a corner.

Clyde's four-goal hero David Gormley

Clyde's four-goal hero David Gormley

Ewan McNeil pulled a free kick wide and after the full-back got in a cross from the right’ Blair Henderson lifted the ball over the top.

But the breakthrough came at the other end after 22 minutes when Gormley found the net with a well placed shot from the edge of the 18-yard box.

After 32 minutes Michael McKenna tested the gloves of Gibson with a shot from distance on the right, but at half-time the visitors led 1-0.

It was a lead which was doubled just five minutes into the second half when Graeme Beveridge gave the ball away and a long ball over the top saw Gormley beat the offside trap and run on to score with a well struck volley past Walker from outside the box.

Gormley had a chance to make it a hat-trick after 57 minutes when he turned his marker in the box, but shot wide.

But after 58 minutes it was 0-3 when Linton headed in at the back post from a Gormley cross.

After 66 minutes Fairbairn was unlucky when he saw a header from a corner hit the bar, but in general Rangers seldom troubled the opposition goal.

The fourth and fifth goals both came from Gormley after 82 and 84 minutes, the first from close range and the second with another volley which was pushed onto the post by Walker before crossing the line to complete a miserable afternoon for the home side.