Home groans as ‘Bole beat Cumbernauld

Cumbernauld hope to have something to celebrate on Saturday.
Cumbernauld hope to have something to celebrate on Saturday.

Cumbernauld United’s Super League First Division campaign began in disappointing fashion at Guy’s Meadow on Saturday as they suffered a heavy defeat at the hands of a strong Maybole side.

The difference between the teams came down to finishing, but ultimately poor defending cost United on a day when it had all started so brightly.

The home side took the lead with just six minutes on the clock when a David Dickson pass found Mikey McFarlane and he fired an unstoppable shot high past the stranded Maybole keeper.

It was a superb strike, but unfortunately for the home team their joy was short lived as the visitors drew level from the kick off.

Despite Cumbernauld claims that Baird looked a couple of yards offside, he was allowed to square the ball for Muir to tap home.

And worse was to follow for John Queen’s side when they fell behind in the visitors’ very next attack.

This time Roddy set up Todd to fire home from 20 yards for another great strike.

The match was certainly providing the spectators with value for money and United were unlucky when a McFarlane shot came off the post.

The home side then should have drawn level when a cross from Kris Irvine found Dickson and Mullen unmarked but there was hesitation from both the United boys and the chance was gone.

At half-time United could consider themselves unfortunate to be behind.

However the next goal was always going to be crucial and unfortunately for the home side it went to Maybole.

Irvine lost possession in his own half and his error allowed Shankland to run through unchallenged to slot past Barry Fraser in the United goal.

Maybole were looking dangerous in every attack and from a corner Cumbernauld captain Ryan Sullivan manhandled the Maybole centre to concede a penalty.

The spot kick was duly despatched past Fraser by Cuthbertson to put the Ayrshire men 4-1 in front.

It was all going against United now and when the frustration led to Irvine lashing out at Todd the Cumbernauld man was shown a straight red for his troubles, reducing his side to 10 men.

Maybole took advantage to add a fifth goal when a shot from Black was parried by Fraser straight into the path of Todd who was first to react and complete a disappointing day for United.

The United team could not be faulted for effort but over the piece Maybole were worthy winners.

This Saturday United travel to meet Clydebank where a big improvement will be required against one of the promotion favourites.

Clydebank were relegated from the Super League Premier Division last season and are determined to regain their place in the top flight at the first attempt.

They won their Euroscot Eng Sectional League Cup group with four wins out of four but were knocked out of the competition last Wednesday night when they went down 2-0 to Kirkintilloch Rob Roy at Guy’s Meadow.

However they bounced back to win 2-0 at Ardrossan in their opening league game.

A supporters’s bus for Cumbernauld fans wishing to go to Clydebank will leave Guy’s Meadow at 12.15pm and the town centre at 12.20pm.