Junior sides shaping up for new season

Duncansfield Park, home of Kilsyth Rangers. (Pic by Alan Murray)
Duncansfield Park, home of Kilsyth Rangers. (Pic by Alan Murray)

Local junior football clubs are already gearing up for the forthcoming season.

Cumbernauld United and Kilsyth Rangers have already fixed up a number of pre-season friendly matches as part of their training schedules.

United will get their games under way next month, when they travel to face Bellshill Athletic at the Firhill Complex. Kick-off is 2pm.

Then on Saturday, July 26 the Guy’s Meadow outfit is on the move again when they travel to Perth to play Jeanfield Swifts. Kick-off is at 2pm.

On July 30 they have a game against East Stirlingshire. The venue for this has still to be arranged.

And on Saturday, August 2 they will be at Guy’s Meadow where they will face Linlithgow Rose. Kick-off is at 2.30pm.

United are in the process of boosting their squad for next season and have made two new signings, securing the services of Scott Murphy from Thorniewood and Drew Ramsay from Arthurlie.

Kilsyth Rangers have arranged a further pre-season game for Wednesday, July 30.

The Duncansfield side will play host to East Region team Linlithgow Rose with a 7pm kick-off.

This will be a quick return to Duncansfield for former fans favourite and local lad Frannie Kelly who recently left the club to join up with Linlithgow.

Manager Keith Hogg and his assistant Kevin McBride have again been busy on the player front and have added to the squad by signing midfielder Michael Fulton, formerly of Rob Roy and Petershill and it is expected that other signings will follow.

This brings the total of new signings to seven and along with Duke, Dolan, Doyle, Mcpeake, Waters and Reid from last year’s squad things are coming in to shape for the new season.

The 128th annual general meeting of the Scottish Junior Football Association was held on Saturday, June 21 in the Alhambra Theatre in Dunfermline.

Once again the pyramid system and licencing were discussed and this again was held over for further discussion.