Kilsyth 2 Cumbernauld 1: Rangers take honours in fiery derby clash

Action from Saturday's derby at Duncansfield (pic by Jamie Forbes)
Action from Saturday's derby at Duncansfield (pic by Jamie Forbes)

Kilsyth Rangers took the points in a highly competitive Duncansfield derby with Cumbernauld United which could have gone either way.

Kilsyth's 2-1 victory moved them up into the leading group in what looks sure to be a closely contested league.

It was not without controversy though as Cumbernauld had assistant manager JP McBride sent to the pavilion as well as a player red carded shortly beforehand.

Rangers opened well and had the upper hand in the early exchanges. However Cumbernauld threatened when a pass from Paul Murphy found Scott McManus whose shot slid past the post.

The home team had a good shout for a penalty on six minutes when Ross McCabe appeared to tug at the shirt of a Kilsyth attacker.

But it wasn't given and it was the visitors who made the breakthrough in the 14th minute through ex-Ranger Scott Davidson.

Stevenson played a cross ball which found Davidson and he took a touch before launching the ball into the top corner, giving keeper Davie Buchanan no chance.

Not long afterwards he nearly added a second with a lob from around 40 yards but this time it was a little off target.

Rangers responded well and Kenny Giles had to make a fine save from a Steven Degnan header.

With five minutes of the half remaining Davidson slid a pass through to Aidan Malone, but with only the keeper to beat the United striker failed to find the net and his effort was turned past the post. It was a missed opportunity that would came back to haunt the visitors.

Cumbernauld made a change shortly after the restart, bringing on Alan Benton for Scott McManus and made the running in the early part of the half.

However just on the hour mark Salim Kouider-Aissa got the ball and from 30 yards sent in a shot which came off the underside of the crossbar and bounced on the line. Degnan beat Giles in the scramble to get to the ball and netted from very close in to level the score.

United had the chance to regain the lead when a ball played through from Murphy found Benton unmarked just outside the box, but his strike on goal was somehow saved by Buchanan who was in tremendous form against his old club.

However Rangers were energised by their goal and started to apply more pressure on the United defence.

And they went in front when a free-kick was again not dealt with by Giles and Jack Harrison got onto the ball and netted again from close range.

The game was becoming quite scrappy and an incident in the Rangers penalty area culminated in Benton being sent off after the linesman became involved with the player on the touchline.

The United bench and support were incensed by this decision and soon afterwards number two McBride was also seeing red.

Rangers had made a few changes also, with Danny Smith, Phil Dolan and Dan Orsi all cxoming on as the game was played out.

United made a big effort to salvage a point, but it was not to be and Rangers leapfrog them to now share third place in the division.