Kilsyth away day leads to cup second round

Share this article

Cambria A 0 Kilsyth Amateurs 2

West of Scotland Cup, first round

WITH no game last week because of the weather, it was off to Stepps to face Cambria in this cup encounter.

Ammies started brightly with both G Christie and Griffin testing the keeper with fine efforts. Kilsyth were awarded a free-kick on 15 mins which P Christie took and watched as it flashed just wide.

Cambria then had a great chance to break the deadlock when their no 9 cut inside and got a fine shot away, only to see Stevenson save well low to his right. Another good Ammies attack was created when Higgins played the ball wide to Murray who whipped in a tempting cross to P Christie, the mid-fielder heading just over.

Cambria were resorting to long- range efforts as they just could not get through the midfield where tough tackling Harty and P Christie were winning every loose ball, and keeper Stevenson was also in fine form. R Paterson then played the ball infield to Harty who then found pacey striker G Christie, who in turn drove into the box and forced the home keeper into a brave save diving at his feet to collect the ball.

There was no more action in the first period and coaches Hamill and Mullholland must have been pleased with the team’s renewed desire and effort.

The second half started at a very frantic pace and Ammies could have opened the scoring on 50 mins when Stevenson released G Christie with a long kick-out - the striker beat his man and cut the ball back to Murray whose shot was well saved. Kilsyth then had a Stirling free-kick well saved and from the resulting corner Harty had a header cleared off the line.

At the other end Cambria no 11 came close with a glancing header just going wide. The same player should have scored two minutes later when again he had lots of time on the ball but squandered his chance.

Ammies then replaced the hard-working Griffin with McDaid on 65 mins and the big striker was involved straight away when Stevenson again found G Christie with a huge goal kick. He cut the ball back into the path of McDaid who rifled the ball low into the back of the net; no more than the Ammies deserved for their hard work.

Some good play by Cambria followed with their no 7 having his shot well saved by Stevenson. From this save he again launched another huge kick to G Christie. The frontman looked up and, spying the home keeper off his line, produced a sublime chip that nestled in the back of the net - Ammies two up.

Skipper Hagan then went on a marauding run down the left, and played the ball inside to M Paterson. He in turn hit a vicious drive just wide. Good play involving Higney and Roby resulted in the latter playing the ball to the feet of McDaid whose shot was well saved.

Cambria huffed and puffed for the remainder of the half but the Ammies defensive four were up to the task as they had been all game. The last chance of the game came when Hagan again drove down the left and crossed into the box to G Christie, whose headed effort was excellently saved low to the left.

This was a great result for Kilsyth who have been poor in previous games but showed by this performance just how they can play.

Team: Stevenson, Higney, Hagan, R Paterson, Stirling, Murray, Higgins, Harty,P Christie, Griffin, G Christie, M Paterson, McCahill, McDaid, Ewan, Roby.

• Kilsyth are away to Cresswell Lane from Bearsden this Saturday in 2nd round of The Scottish Cup with a 2pm ko.