Kilsyth finally get first league win since November

Kilsyth Rangers recorded a badly needed win - their first in the league since November - with a 2-1 success over Maybole at Duncansfield on Saturday.

Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 9:18 am
Updated Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 9:23 am
Kilsyths Gary Livingstone tussles with a Maybole opponent.

It was never easy as Maybole put up a stiff opposition and may consider that they were unlucky not to take a point.

But Kilsyth now have the chance to build on the result and climb away from the Super League First Division relegation danger zone.

After a minute’s silence before kick-off in memory of former committee man and lifelong supporter Jim Patrick. Rangers started well and had the best of the early play without really troubling the visitors’ ’keeper.

Mayboles’ McGowan was booked early on for a foul on Gary Livingstone and persistent mouthing off the the referee.

Rangers’ domination of the game continued for the first half hour but the opening goal seemed as far away as ever until Corey Pearson put a great cross

in from the right and trialist Gary Kelly got the final touch and directed the ball into the net.

It seemed that Rangers would go in ahead until, in a scramble in the last few seconds of the half, Chris Reid managed to divert the ball into his own net.

Maybole were rather flattered by going in level and were soon behind again after a good start to the second half by Rangers.

Some fine play by Joe Barclay and Livingstone gave Nicky Prentice a chance when Weir could only parry a shot in and the winger was on hand to fire the ball home.

But instead of going in for the kill Rangers sat back and let Maybole into the game and from this point onwards they began to have much more of the play without really creating too many scoring opportunities.

As it was both sides made changes, with Rangers bringing on Danny O’Neill and Damon Welsh, without really changing the course of the game.

Relief greeted the final whistle with Rangers taking all three points for the first time this year, a good win but it ought to have been more decisive given their domination of the game overall.

Next up is another home game with Clydebank this Saturday.

Kick-off is 2pm.