Kilsyth Rangers hold on for welcome win over Arthurlie

Kilsyth Rangers returned to winning ways after their Glencairn disaster with a fine 3-2 success over Arthurlie at Duncansfield Park on Saturday.

Monday, 17th September 2018, 3:49 pm
Updated Monday, 17th September 2018, 3:51 pm
Kilsyth Rangers co-manager Kevin McGoldrick

It was a result Rangers had to fight for but despite relentless pressure from the visitors in the second half they got the points in the end.

Looking to bounce back from their 8-1 reverse at Rutherglen, Kilsyth made a dream start; only two minutes in Steven Degnan picked up a ball from Salim Kouider-Aissa and netted from close range.

It was all Rangers in the early stages and six minutes later Phil Dolan made a good run in and shot home a very fine goal from just outside the penalty box to make it 2-0.

It was a question of how many at this stage and Arthurlie keeper Stephen McPhee saved well from a good effort by Kouider-Aissa.

But gradually Arthurlie began to get a grip on the game and came close a few times including a shot which came off the inside of the post.

Approaching half-time Chris Reid was unlucky for Kilsyth with a great header following a corner, but almost on the interval Jamie Docherty pulled one back for Arthurlie with a first time shot from well outside the box.

After the interval Arthurlie came out fighting and had Rangers pinned back for the first eight minutes or so, but a break out of defence saw Degnan make a run down the left, beat two men and fire home in a very fine goal.

Not long afterwards he had to go off with a foot injury, being replaced by trialist Fraser Sheridan.

Despite going another goal behind Arthurlie, if anything, stepped up the pressure but could not get the ball into the net until James Marks picked up a loose ball thanks to a defensive error and ran in to score a fine goal.

Arthurlie sensing that they could get something from the game, but Rangers defended resolutely and held out until the relief of the final whistle.

This Saturday Kilsyth are away to Darvel, kick-off 2pm.