Late goal denies Bully Wee after Annan are rocked by storming Clyde comeback

A stunning 25-yard free-kick denied Clyde victory in a six-goal thriller at Annan on Saturday.

Monday, 7th March 2016, 4:00 pm
Updated Monday, 7th March 2016, 4:38 pm
David Marsh battles for possession with Annan's Ryan McStay (pic by Alan Watson).

Barry Ferguson’s side stunned their promotion rivals by storming back from a 2-0 half-time deficit to score three times in a devastating 12-minute spell.

But substitute Peter Weatherson, who had only been on the pitch for five minutes, earned the home side a point with his 85th minute leveller.

Clyde went into the match looking to bounce back from last Tuesday’s shock home defeat by East Stirlingshire.

They started promisingly. Sean Higgins shot narrowly over and Scott Durie’s cross found Scott Linton whose header webt just wide.

But it was Annan who opened the scoring in the 24th minute when Josh Todd picked up a Martin McNiff through ball and turned Mark McLaughlin before beating Marc Waters with a well placed shot.

Higgins headed a Linton cross narrowly past but Clyde found themselves tow down just after the half-hour mark.

Ben Jago won the ball with an interception on the halfway line and released Todd who once again finished clinically.

Clyde made a promising start to the second half and Higgins set them on the road to recovery on the hour when he rose above his marker to score with a well-timed header.

It sparked the start of a glorious period for the visitors and in the 67th minute Scott McLaughlin squared the match when his low shot from 14 yards had the Clyde fans in raptures.

All of a sudden Clyde were in the ascendancy and Annan were being put to the sword - and in the 72nd minute Annan were chasing the match.

Kevin Nicoll slipped under pressure and lost control six yards out and Higgins had the fairly easy chance to slot the ball into the net from close range.

The 12-minute spell saw Clyde turn the match on its head leaving Annan chasing a game they appeared to be in control of as a repeat of Clyde’s 3-2 win at Annan on their last visit on Boxing Day looked on the cards.

Annan brought on substitute Jordan Moffat for Matty Flynn closely followed by Weatherson for Ryan McStay in the 80th minute - and it was Weatherson who had the final say on this match.

Todd won a free-kick 25 yards out and Weatherson eyed the situation up before finishing with a stunning free-kick which flew past the Clyde wall and Waters’ right hand side and into the corner of the net.

The victory left Clyde still in fourth place, in front of ahead of Annan on goal difference, ahead of their trip to East Stirlingshire last night (Tuesday) and Saturday’s potentially crucial clash with second place Elgin who were knocked off top spot by East Fife last weekend.