Late winner sinks Rangers in hard-fought Rabs clash

Kilsyth celebrate Frannie Kelly's opener but Rob Rob hit back to win.
Kilsyth celebrate Frannie Kelly's opener but Rob Rob hit back to win.

Rob Roy took the honours in Saturday’s exselgroup Sectional League Cup clash with Kilsyth Rangers at Guy’s Meadow - but it was a very close run thing.

Over the piece there was little to choose between the teams and both the Kirkintilloch side’s goals were scrambled affairs at the end of either half.

But they were enough to put the Super League Premier side in pole position to go through to the knockout stages following the final; groups games tonight (Wednesday).

It was a very open game right from the start, both sides were playing some very attractive football and looking for an early goal.

A free-kick for Rangers produced a chance but Rabs keeper Michael McKinven punched out an attempted lob over his head.

At the other end Andy Carlin blocked a Kevin Watt effort, leading to a corner which was scambled away.

Nicky Prentice and Frannie Kelly were causing problems for the Rob Roy defence, as were Chris Duff and Watt for the Rangers back four.

Rob Roy centre-half Kevin Green was getting a lot of stick from the Kilsyth fans for his histrionics every time he was tackled and should have been warned by the referee long before he actually was.

The stalemate was eventually broken when, following a corner, Prentice put a good ball in to Scott Davidson. McKinven could only parry his effort which came out for Frannie Kelly to strike a low shot to the net.

Rangers looked like going in with an interval lead but a few minutes were added to the first half and following a real scramble in the Kilsyth goalmouth in which Carlin was either fouled, or certainly obstructed, Green knocked in the equalising goal.

Rob Roy had the better of the opening spell in the second half but it wasn’t too long before Rangers were right back in the mix; Paul McBride broke away and had a good effort well saved by McKinven, who had a fair claim to be man of the match.

A few yellow cards were being dispensed although it was by no means a game played in bad spirit, just very competitive.

If anything Rangers were creating the better chances in the mid spell and were rather unlucky on several occasions not to regain the lead.

It was still a pretty evenly balanced game and it seemed that it would finish a point apiece with all to play for in the final games for both teams.

However with the game entering added time at the end a final big push by Rob Roy saw substitute Jordan McGuire knock the ball in after yet another prolonged scramble in the Rangers goalmouth.

A big disappointment for the fans at the finish, but there was really very little in it and Rangers can look forward with some confidence to the start of their league programme in a couple of weeks time.