Prentice pounces to earn Rangers opening day draw

Kilsyth's Michael McGee evades a Shettelston challenge.
Kilsyth's Michael McGee evades a Shettelston challenge.

Kilsyth drew 2-2 with Shettleston in an entertaining Super League First Division opener at Duncansfield on Saturday.

Both teams came out looking for an early goal and it was Rangers who struck first.

There were only three minutes on the clock when Corey Pearson was in the right position to receive a ball in from the left and strike it home.

It could have been 2-0 just a few minutes later as, after good work by Pearson, Paul McBride had a very good effort go just wide.

Shettleston were getting chances as well and when Welsh was right through on Andy Carlin a goal looked certain, but he made a mess of his attempt and Carlin had an easy save.

However the Glasgow side, among the title favourites, levelled when a very good cross found the head of Weatherson who made no mistake with a very well, powerful header.

Rangers thought they had regained the lead when Paul McBride netted after a scramble but the referee’s assistant had spotted an infringement and the goal was chalked off.

The visitors were then awarded a penalty when Paul Doyle was adjudged to have handled and Weatherson completed his double from the spot.

The tempo of the game dropped a little for the remainder of the first half although there were still chances made at either end. Rangers were rather unlucky to go in a goal down.

The second half was a very tight affair, neither side was able to gain a dominant position.

As the game entered its closing stages it seemed that perhaps all Rangers good work might produce no reward, but with eight minutes left a ball out of defence from Kevin McBride found Prentice well placed just inside the Shettleston half.

He outpaced his marker and ran into the box to unleash a powerful shot which beat Whyte and came off the inside of the far post to level the scores.

It was no more than Rangers deserved for their efforts over the piece.