Rangers spot on to edge past Renfrew in shootout

Mark Tyrell netted one of Kilsyth's spot-kicks against Renfrew
Mark Tyrell netted one of Kilsyth's spot-kicks against Renfrew

Kilsyth Rangers edged through to the second round of the West of Scotland Cup as they defeated Renfrew 4-3 on penalties after a 0-0 draw at Duncansfield.

Rangers have now met Renfrew twice this season and on both occasions they have come out on top, but twice Renfrew must feel they really should have done better, and with some justification.

In this cup tie they had much the better chances during the 90 minutes but were unable to translate them into a win - and in the resulting penalty shoot they were thwarted when Kilsyth keeper Andy Carlin saved twice.

Renfrew took the initiative from the start and made most of the running for the opening 20 minutes or so.

They had been forced into an early substitution when Fraser Barbour had to go off after taking a bad knock, his place taken by Martin Brogan.

Having said that, Carlin was never really troubled and Rangers finally began to come into the game with a few good attacking moves of their own.

It was almost on the half hour mark before Renfrew keeper Daniel McLeay was called on to make a real save and half-time came with no goals scored, and seemingly none likely.

The start of the second half brought little change. Renfrew again started well, and they had found a little more sharpness in their approach and Carlin had a much busier time having to make a few decent saves.

In an attempt to shake of the lethargy that seemed to be affecting the Rangers play they made a double substitution just 10 minutes into the half.

Gary Kelly and Corey Pearson were brought on to replace David Sinclair and Alan Flannigan and sure enough Rangers began to take a much more prominent part in the play.

Renfrew also made a couple of changes and it was now a much more competitive game.

Nicky Prentice put in a few good crosses and was the victim of a couple of rather dubious offside decisions himself.

The last few minutes saw both teams going all out for a winner with Renfrew coming closest, Carlin having to make an outstanding double save and with another effort coming off the inside of the post only to be cleared.

However it was still goalless at the end of 90 minutes and a penalty shootout was needed to find a winner.

Rangers just got the verdict with Gary Kelly, Pearson, Prentice and Mark Tyrell all being successful with their spot-kicks while Carlin was the hero in saving two of the Renfrew players’ efforts.