Relief for Ferguson as Clyde get back to winning ways

Scott McLaughlin fired home Clyde's third goal.
Scott McLaughlin fired home Clyde's third goal.

Barry Ferguson’s Clyde side powered to the victory that had been evading them, with a commanding win over a disappointing Montrose side.

The visitors started brightly, and in the opening period appeared to be having no side affects from their horrendous midweek cup defeat to Edinburgh Thistle Hutchison Vale. It did not take long however for the cracks to appear.

The new look centre back partnership, including loan signing Jahmal Howlett Mundle from Hearts, could not settle. The home side began to dominate the proceedings.

Clyde saw their first real chance come on the 15 minute mark, with Scott McGlaughlin whipping a vicious ball into the box. The ball fell to young Scott Ferguson, who with time to settle himself will feel he should have done better with the left footed volley. Montrose had survived but it was not to last long. Chances for David Gormley and the increasingly impressive Ferguson were early warnings for the visitors from the north.

Against the run of play Montrose had the greatest chance of the match so far, with a header back in to the danger zone finding Gary Fraser completely on his own. After a fine first touch, he slipped the ball past the advancing Gibson in the Clyde net. Tumbling towards the line, Michael Bolochoweckyj slid, scrambling the ball away to safety.

And from here Clyde built, and got the first goal of the afternoon. A long throw from Scott Linton on the left wing was flicked towards goal by Mark McLaughlin. Ross Salmon in the Montrose net made an effort to punch the ball clear, but only connected with the head of David Marsh. The Clyde midfield man bravely threw himself at the ball and knocked it home for 1-0.

Clyde soon made it 2-0 and made their dominance tell. A wicked corner from Chris Mitchell was met perfectly by the unmarked Bolochoweckyj, who slammed his header into the net via the post.

Clyde were looking comfortable, and Ferguson was controlling the game with his pace and composure well above his years. But following half time Montrose got themselves back in the match. Gary Fraser was released on the left side of the area, and cutting back on to his right foot, he found the top corner of the net with a fine curling effort from 18 yards.

Clyde appeared to be struggling, and their lack of confidence from failing to close out matches was beginning to tell. Montrose were suddenly edging a now tight affair, but Clyde soon restored their two goal advantage.

A long punt forward found the feet of Scott Ferguson. His drilled effort was saved well at the feet of keeper Salmon, who will count himself unlucky his stop was entirely in vain. The rebound rolled to the feet of Scott McLaughlin, who with all the time in the world fired the ball into the empty net.

Clyde continued to pressure Montrose, with Scott Ferguson continuing to rip the Montrose back line apart. He was withdrawn from the field to a standing ovation, which he certainly deserved.

A fine victory for Barry Ferguson’s side, who will surely see promotion as a real possibility with performances such as these.

But the Bully Wee boss admitted that he still wasn’t entirely satified with the performance.

He said: “I was happy for 75 minutes, not the first 15 minutes of the second half. I don’t know, honestly they baffle me at times. But that’s my job to sort it out.

“They scored a goal and it kind of gave us a boot up the bum, and we kick on again and could have scored another three or four.

“I’m happy with the result. I’m happy with a lot of the play. In the first half we were different class; we were all over the top of them first half.

“In the second half, we don’t start well and they score a goal. We come out, this thing that’s been happening to us all season, and honestly I don’t know why.

“But I’m delighted for them. They worked so hard. It was there for everyone to see, the effort. Their effort’s never been in doubt, but they just need to be a wee bit more consistent. That’s my only complaint. But that’s not today, that’s the whole season.

“It’s a mental thing. I know it’s in them but they need to do it all the time. We did it for the first 45 minutes and the last half an hour.”