Storming comeback earns Cumbernauld Colts a point

Andy Hunter heads Colts' first goal. (Pic by Alex Miller)
Andy Hunter heads Colts' first goal. (Pic by Alex Miller)

Cumbernauld Colts staged a remarkable comeback to earn a 3-3 draw from the penultimate game of their debut Lowland League season at Vale of Leithen on Saturday.

Colts were three down after just 14 minutes but rallied to maintain their hopes of a fourth place finish.

Within 24 seconds of the kick-off Colts found themselves a goal down when Michael Oliver got himself caught under the ball and striker Keith McLeod controlled well before sweeping past the helpless Chris Fahey in the Colts goal.

It was to get worse for Colts before it got better.

Less than five minutes later it was 2-0 and again the visitors had no-one but themselves to blame as they gave the ball away cheaply in midfield and McLeod was played through to slot the ball past Fahey for a second time.

Third bottom Vale scored again when a poor header fell at the feet of the Vale attacker who played a team-mate through and trialist Michael Morris, trying to get a block on the shot from 18 yards, was only able to divert the ball away from Fahey with the deflection.

With just 14 minutes on the clock Colts were 3-0 behind and they had Fahey to thank for two fine saves which stopped things getting any worse.

But Colts bounced back midway through the half when Jamie Broadfoot delivered a free-kick to the back post where Oliver did well to keep the attack alive, heading back across goal.

The ball ricocheted around before landing on the head of Andy Hunter who dived to head home.

It wasn’t long before it was 3-2 when another delivery into the box by Broadfoot wasn’t dealt with by the home side and Jamie Barclay headed in off a post.

After the break Colts pushed forward and after the home side were reduced to 10 men Colts got an equaliser two minutes into stoppage time, Drew Ramsay heading home after Jonathan Black’s 25-yarder bounced off the bar.

Colts’ pursuit of fourth place now comes down to a final day tussle with Whitehill Welfare at the start of May. It’s a game where the Broadwood men now know that nothing less than a win will suffice.