Three in a row as Cumbernauld climb to fourth in table

Cumbernauld (in white) have now won three games ina row
Cumbernauld (in white) have now won three games ina row

Cumbernauld United made it three Super League First Division wins on the bounce on Saturday with a well deserved 4-1 victory over Greenock at Ravenscraig Stadium.

With a squad of 20 to pick from, and manager John Queen on holiday, coach John Crooks made one change to the Cumbernauld line-up with Kris Irvine starting, having served a three match suspension.

After a tentative start by both teams the first incident of note came after five minutes when United’s Clark was booked for a bad tackle.

From the resulting free kick a shot from Scott was easily dealt with by home ’keeper Barry Fraser.

With the game settling down it was the visitors who were looking the more lively and after 20 minutes were unlucky not to take the lead.

Dylan McGuigan beat the Greenock ’keeper McWilliams to the ball but from a wide angle this effort was cleared off the line.

It was all United now and Mullen was next to test the keeper with a nice turn and shot.

Midway through the half an excellent through ball by Clark released Eeles but this effort hit the side netting.

On the half hour mark Fraser in the United goal had a good block from a dangerous situation and ended up receiving treatment for a face knock.

Greenock were playing very much route one football and as half-time approached there were efforts from McBryde and Scott which were both dealt comfortably with by Fraser.

Just when it looked like the first half would finish goalless United took a deserved lead when a McGuigan shot was blocked and fell to Irvine who coolly despatched from the edge of the box for his first United goal.

There was a bit more purpose to Greenock after the break but it was United who should have increased their lead when a great pass from Dickson put McGuigan clear in on goal but his shot was blocked by McWilliams.

More United pressure resulted in shots from McLaughlin and Mullen, neither of which came to anything.

After 60 minutes McHaffie replaced young Kieran Brown in the Cumbernauld ranks.

United increased their lead in 67 minutes after a quick throw in by McLaughlin found Mullen and with a lovely pass he set up McGuigan to fire high into the net.

Three minutes later Cumbernauld made another change when McLaughlin was replaced by O’Halloran.

Soon afterwards United increased their lead when a great run and turn by Eeles was followed by a great right foot shot which he curled high into the net.

Greenock pulled a goal back in the 88th minute when McGarrigle powered home a header from a corner.

But any glimmer of hope was extinguished when, from the kick-off, McGuigan released O’Halloran who shot was despatched past McWilliams to complete an excellent afternoon for United.

United have now climbed to fourth in the league table on the back of their three subsequent wins.

They now turn their attention to cup duty on Saturday when they travel to Central Division Two side Forth Wanderers in the first round of the New Coin Holdings West of Scotland Cup.

A supporters’ bus leaves Guy’s Meadow at 11.55am and the town centre at noon.

Cumbernauld: Fraser, Sullivan, Clark, Brown, Cummings, Dickson, Irvine, McLaughlin, Mullen, McGuigan, Eeles. Subs: McHaffie, O’Halloran, McKechnie, Clark, Foley.