United make their point

Cumbernauld put pressure on the Yoker defence
Cumbernauld put pressure on the Yoker defence

Cumbernauld were forced to settle for a point after a topsy-turvy 3-3 draw against Yoker Athletic at Guy’s Meadow on Saturday.

The game - only Cumbernauld’s fourth home league match of the season - kicked off in glorious sunshine and United were very much on the front foot from the off.

And they were rewarded for their early pressure in the seventh minute.

They were awarded a free-kick 25 yards out and youngster Kieran Brown stepped up to put United ahead with a shot which appeared to take a wicked bounce over the Yoker ’keeper.

This was Kieran’s fifth scoring free-kick in his first season for Cumbernauld.

It had been a very positive opening for the home side and they duly when two up when a lovely through ball from Davie Dickson released Foley who, running in on goal, composed himself before slotting past ’keeper Muir.

United’s dominance continued and they had a chance to kill the game when Dickson, in on goal, appeared to lose his footing and the danger was cleared.

As the half progressed Yoker were beginning get into the game and ’keeper Barry Fraser had to be on his toes when a shot from Price deflected over.

The warning signs were there for the home team and on the stroke of half-time poor defending cost United as Heron was allowed to ghost in at the back post to give the visitors a lifeline they barely deserved.

In contrast to the first period, after the break the visitors applied the pressure and within five minutes of the restart they were level.

A long through ball deceived the United backline and Shaw couldn’t believe his luck as he lobbed Fraser to score despite a last gasp attempt by Brown to clear off the line.

United had lost their shape and momentum, and worse was to follow when another through pass found Joyce unmarked and his low shot beat Fraser at this near post.

Manager John Queen quickly made two changes with Scott McHaffie and Kris Irvine replacing Stephen Macdonald and Dale Clark and the changes added a bit of spark.

United gradually worked their way back into the game and Foley was unlucky when a point blank header hit the Yoker ’keeper in the face and went out for a corner.

United made their final substitution when Stephen Mullen replaced Dylan McGuigan and the striker was unlucky not to get on the end of a Irvine cross.

It was all United now and the got their reward in 75 minutes when McHaffie fired in a superb cross from the right and full-back Alan Clark sent a glorious header into the corner of the net.

As the game came to its conclusion there were loud appeals from the visiting fans when Ross was involved in a dual for the ball with Clark with the defender appearing to win the ball first and penalty claims were waved away by the referee.

Next up for Cumbernauld is a trip to Ardrossan on Saturday.