Video: Motherwell U20s 1 Cumbernauld Colts U20s 0

Action from Sunday's clash at the Excelsior Stadium (pic by Alex Miller)
Action from Sunday's clash at the Excelsior Stadium (pic by Alex Miller)

Cumbernauld Colts’ under-20s gave a good account of themselves before going down 1-0 to holders Motherwell in the fourth round of the Scottish FA Youth Cup.

Motherwell enjoyed the majority of possession in the early stages but Colts defence stood strong and limited the holders to shots from distance.

Colts looked well organised and were working hard to keep Motherwell at bay and again the defence were standing strong and Colts goalkeeper Campbell made a good save on 15 minutes to keep the scores level.

The visitors were not shy in possession either, looking to get forward when possible and looked very dangerous from set pieces.

Brown had a good chance to put Colts 1-0 up as the ball dropped down in the box but his shot was straight at the goalkeeper and the score remained level. Motherwell, just one point off the top of the SPFL Development League, continued to have more of the ball and were delivering crosses into the box that Colts back four dealt with well.

Colts had a great chance to go in front in the game as McAllister volleyed the ball at the goal from a delivery from a free-kick but the ball ended up in the goalkeeper’s arms rather than the back of the net

With half-time looming the match looked certain to go in level, but from a throw in deep in their own half Motherwell cleared the ball up the pitch and as the ball dropped over Colts back line, striker Jake Hastie was deemed onside by the linesman.

As Campbell was sluggish off of his line Hastie beat the keeper to score, although Ryan Milne was so close to clearing off of the line.

The teams emerged for the second half re-energised and Motherwell had a couple of chances.

One was a shot fired straight at Campbell who then made another save from Hastie and Scott was unable to convert the rebound.

Colts settled themselves down and once again were restricting the cup holders to shots from distance and at the other end were creeping into the game in a more offensive manner.

And as minutes ticked by Motherwell were beginning to become frustrated by Colts hard work as the game was getting more physical.

Colts again from a corner were causing Motherwell problems and after a melee in the box the ball fell to McKenzie’s feet 18 yards out and his shot went inches over the bar.

With the game entering its final stages Colts began pushing further forward and Sheridan a driving force in midfield, played a crossfield ball to Byrne who controlled well and fooled the defender only for his shot to curl inches wide.

Brown then did well to outmuscle a Motherwell defender to get on the end of a bouncing ball and hit a volley which was agonisingly close to the equaliser.