Gers open up a gap

Kilsyth Rangers 4Port Glasgow 0Stagecoach West of Scotland League, Central District First Division

Monday, 22nd November 2010, 9:06 am
Updated Monday, 22nd November 2010, 9:07 am

RANGERS' recent good run of form continued with this decisive win over Port Glasgow.

There was never much doubt after the opening quarter of an hour, by which time they were three goals to the good, that the points were staying at Duncansfield. Now only a point behind league leaders Thorniewood, Rangers have opened up somerthing of a gap over the other promotion chasing clubs.

It was a great start by Rangers. Within the first minute Kelly had a great chance to open the scoring but sent the ball wide. A minute later he took the ball into the box but was dispossessed before he could get a shot in. In ten minutes, they were awarded a penalty when a defender handled the ball on the line, a red card for the culprit, and a goal for Rangers when Joe Barclay duly converted the spot-kick.

Three minutes later Paddy Flannery had doubled the advantage when he scored with a fine solo effort.

It was in danger of turning into a rout when Barclay got his second just a couple of minutes later with a tap-in from very close range.

Rangers continued to dominate against the ten men, but on the half hour they also went a man short, McPeake getting a straight red card for a two footed tackle near the centre of the park.

Port Glasgow had not been seen at all as an attacking force up to this point but they did have a short spell of better play approaching half-time although Duke never really had a decent save to make.

It was very much the same pattern of play after the interval, Rangers dominating without really creating as many chances as they had in the early part of the game.

Port Glasgow made several changes in an effort to come back into the game, to little effect. Rangers brought on McLennan and then Carr, and finally McAteer with about 15 minutes left.

The visitors had several short spells where they might have pulled themselves back into it but again Duke never really was troubled. With just a couple of minutes left Carr added a fourth goal with a fine shot from 25 yards, a good ending to a game which Rangers had controlled throughout.

With no game this week they can now concentrate on the forthcoming Scottish Cup tie at Darvel in two weeks time.

KILSYTH RANGERS: Duke, McPeake, Waters, Doyle, McGinty, D. Barclay, Livingstone, Hogg, J. Barclay, Flannery and Kelly. Subs: McAteer, Carr, McLennan and Tait.

PORT GLASGOW: Tucker, McGarrigle, Beckley, Bryce, P. Stanton, K. McKay, F. McKay, Brown, Nugent, Donnachie, McEwan. Subs: Donnelly, Wilson, Mullin, Joyce, B. Stanton, Power, Kidd.