Kilsyth capitalise on rival’s indiscipline

Kilsyth Rangers
Kilsyth Rangers


KIRKCALDY YM.....................2

KILSYTH RANGERS...............6

In the end this was a pretty convincing win for Rangers and they now go into the draw for the fourth round with quite a few of the fancied clubs now having fallen by the wayside. It could have been rather different though if Kirkcaldy had been rather more disciplined in their approach; as it was they ended up with nine men on the park and with another half dozen booked.

A great chance for came for Rangers in the opening seconds, Dolan put a great cross in front of goal and McLaren missed it by a whisker. Only three minutes in and Kirkcaldy were ahead, a high ball in was headed home by Meikle, goalkeeper Smith deputising for Duke who was out due to a foot injury might have been blinded by the low sun shining directly in his eyes. Rangers did not take long to reply though, KELLY took the ball into the box and hit a fine shot past Grey only two minutes later.

Another four minutes and it was Kelly again, this time he made a fine pass to McLaren who shot past the keeper. It was a good open game with both sides showing some nice play but it was Rangers who got the vital next goal in twenty five minutes and again it was McLaren whose header from a fine cross from Dolan made it three. Another five minutes and Eeles made it four when he ran in on Grey and slipped the ball past him.

Just on the interval and Kirkcaldy were awarded a rather dubious penalty which Bisset struck past Smith to pull them back into the match.

Kirkcaldy made all the running from the restart and had Rangers pinned back in their own half for the first ten minutes or so. They were also racking up a few bookings to add the ones they had gathered in the first period. Rangers kept their composure though and weathered the storm and by the hour mark were starting to look the more likely to add to their score. Another goal did come with McLaren completing his hat trick after some very good work beween Kelly and Carr.

The home team were now starting to really lose their cool and Meikle was first to go, getting a second yellow followed by another red card. Rodger followed him to the dressing room shortly after and YM were now down to nine. Rangers took the opportunity to bring on Waters and newcomer, Darren Walker, who celebrated his debut with a sixth goal for Rangers within a couple of minutes of taking the pitch. That was it; an easy win for Rangers in the end.

Kilsyth Rangers will learn who their fourth round opponents will be with the draw taking place this week, and will be hoping for a home tie. On current form they have every chance of going further in the cup.

KILSYTH; Smith. McPeake, Carr, Doyle, Whiteford, Kerr, Dolan, desmond,

McLaren, Eeeles, Kelly.

Subs. Walker, Waters, Duncan, Hogg, Duke.

KIKCALDY; Grey, Bisset, Pelosi, Quinn, Rodgers, Orrock, ferguson,

Greig, Schinvonne, Meikle, westwater.

Subs. Grubb, Paged, Forbes,

Wilson, O’Neill.

Game next Saturday, away to Greenock, league match KO 1-45pm