Kilsyth out of cup

Bannockburn Amateurs 3

Kilsyth Amateurs 0

West of Scotland Cup, fourth round

AMMIES headed to Bannockburn on Saturday to face a side who are unbeaten in their league campaign so far this season.

Kilsyth went a goal down within the first five minutes when a backpass was not dealt with by keeper Stevenson and the ‘Burn No 8 rolled the ball into the net.

Ammies should have scored on 15 minutes when G. Christie was through on goal but his shot was saved by the keeper’s legs.

The home side were to extend their lead on the half hour mark when their No. 9 shot low into the net from the edge of the box. Ammies had another great chance five minutes later when Paterson crossed into the box but their were no takers with the goal gaping.

McCahill then set off down the left and played the ball infield to Griffin who beat his marker but pulled his shot wide.

It was a scrappy start to the second half but Hagan and Kerr were unlucky not to score with fine efforts. ’Burn had a free-kick awarded on 50 minutes which Stevenson saved well low to his right.

Paterson unleashed a vicious drive that came crashing off the crossbar with the keeper rooted to the spot, before Hagan fired in a shot from an acute angle that brought a fine save from the home keeper.

Higney and Duffy replaced Paterson and Kerr and were soon involved in the action.

Ammies had put so much effort into the second half and were unlucky to concede a third goal on 85 minutes when from a huge goal-kick the ball was collection by the home side’s No 12 and he slotted home from eight yards.

There was no further action in the game, but it is fair to say that although beaten 3-0, Kilsyth cannot be faulted for their effort, especially in the second half against a very good Bannockburn side.

KILSYTH: Stevenson, Hagan, McCahill, McKendry, Stirling, Paterson, Harty, P. Christie, Kerr, Griffin, G. Christie, Higney, Duffy.

It is back to league business for Ammies on Saturday when they entertain Arthurlie at the Sportsfield with a 2pm kick-off.