Late goals sink United

Share this article

Whitletts Victoria 2 Cumbernauld United 1

Stagecoach West of Scotland Super League First Division

WITH five minutes remaining in this Super League contest on Saturday at Dam Park, Ayr, Cumbernauld United looked to be on course for their first league victory of the new season.

Although reduced to ten men in the 75th minute when David Marsh was ordered off, United were stubbornly holding on to their one goal lead, but two late goals for Whitlett saw the visitors sink to the bottom of the league.

The conditions for the match were ideal, good weather and a perfect pitch, and the scene was set for a great game. Unfortunately this did not materialise in the first half which was largely uneventful, apart from two incidents involving Danny Burns. First a cross from Petrucci saw Burns nearly connect and then the same player was through on goal but was ruled offside. United played some good football during this period only to be ineffectual when it came to testing the Whitlett’s goalkeeper.

There was more action in the opening minutes of the second half than had happened previously and, to the delights of the Cumbernauld faithful, the visitors opened the scoring when Nicky Boyle’s 20-yard shot took a slight deflection to beat Steven Douglas in the Vic’s goal. This was United’s first goal in five games and was enthusiastically celebrated.

After Kyle Lochhead had narrowly missed with a free kick, skipper David Marsh was booked when he brought down a home attacker. This was to prove costly later on in the match,

Whitletts had upped their game after United’s goal and were unfortunate when a free-kick taken by Davidson crashed against a post.

It was the visitors who came nearest to adding to their lead however, when substituted Dominic O’Halloran met a Danny Burn cross two yards from an open goal, only to fire the ball over the crossbar.

It was a better contest now but a defining moment arrived 15 minutes from time when a second bookable offence saw David Marsh get a red card leaving United a man short for the final minutes.

Cumbernauld’s depleted defence held Whitletts until the 85th minute when Vics’ Ricky Hanvey squeezed the ball past United goalkeeper David Buchanan following a cross from the left wing.

Worse was to follow when the same player, Hanvey, converted a free kick to relegate United to bottom spot in the Superleague first division.

Manager John Queen must hope to get some of his injured players back soon. He’ll also look to get points from United’s next two games against fellow stragglers Dalry and Thorniewood.

The match against Dalry Thistle is at Guy’s Meadow on Saturday, kick off 2pm. Go along and give the team your support – the boys need it!

Whitletts: Douglas, McKissock, Main, Cameron, Buchanan, Longair, Davidson, Holland, Duffy, Hanvey, Paterson. Subs: Kerr, Friel, A. McMahon, Walker, D. McMahon.

United: Buchanan, Borland, Hanlon, Marsh, Hill, Burns, N. Boyle, Lochhead, McDonnell, J. Boyle, Petrucci. Subs: O’Halloran, McNally, McClymont, Cullen.