Queen of the South 2 Clyde 1 Bell's Scottish League Division One

CLYDE'S defensive frailties were once again in evidence on Saturday as depite a goal of the season candidate from Dougie Imrie, the Bully Wee left Palmerston empty-handed.

Imrie's goal after 78 minutes was a joy to behold, a brilliantly taken scissors kick from the edge of the box that screamed past Colin Scott in the Queen's goal.

The two sides last met on Hogmanay when Clyde won very easily 3-0, but right from the start it seemed this game would be a different story.

After only seven minutes Derek Lyle had the ball in the net but a tight offside decision saved Clyde and only a great block by Michael McGowan prevented Lyle testing Paul Jarvie from inside the six-yard box.

It took Clyde until 23 minutes to register a shot on goal as Craig Bryson and Stephen O'Donnell played a neat one-two but Bryson sliced wide.


Clyde then survived a loud appeal for a penalty as Lyle went down under the combined challenge of Robert Harris and Craig McKeown but referee Jamie Downie gave a corner.

With seconds of the half remining Clyde carved out their best move of the match as Tom Brighton fed Bryson inside the box. Bryson slid a delightful ball across the six yard box but Scott was alert to grab it off the toe of O'Donnell.

The half ended 0-0 but Clyde seemed to have gained the intiative and continued it into the second half as only the post denied Gary Arbuckle from opening the scoring.

However, on 52 minutes the home side took the lead as Harris was adjudged to have handled in the box and John O'Neill made no mistake with the penalty.

Clyde boss Graham Roberts sent on Imrie and Alex Williams for Gary Arbuckle and Chris Higgins as he changed to a 3-4-3 formation.

The visitors had a decent penalty appeal of their own turned down as Paul McHale went down under Eddie Paton's challenge but the referee wasn't interested.

Williams headed over the bar before McHale crossed from the left for Imrie to grab his first goal for the club in spectacular fashion, much to the delight of the small contingent from his former club Lanark United who had made the journey south for the game.


It looked like Clyde had rescued a point but two minutes from time they threw it away as Jarvie failed to deal with a Michael Mullen header and Andy Thomson was on hand to put the ball into the net.

Roberts kept his team locked in the dressing room for over half an hour after the game before assistant Joe Miller was sent out to face the press.

He said: "There are no excuses this was not the standard we expect and the boys simply under-achieved.

"We know how well they can play but at the moment we have to ensure that complaceny does not set in, especially when there are still contracts for next season to be signed.

"At the start of the season there was a hunger and a cause but recently we haven't been showing the same desire."

QOS: Scott, Paton, O'Neill, Lovell, Aitken, J. Thomson, Burns, Weir (A. Thomson), Lyle (Mullen), McStay (Bowey), Gibson.

CLYDE: Jarvie, Harris, Malone, Higgins (Williams), McKeown, McHale, Bryson, O'Donnell (McDonald), Arbuckle (Imrie), Brighton, McGowan.

Referee: J. Downie.

Attendance: 1,750.

Sportline Man of the Match: Paul McHale.

CLYDE return to Boradwood on Saturday looking to get back to winning ways against Brechin City, however the Bully Wee will know they are in for a tough game as they are the only side to have lost a league game to the Angus side this season.