From the archives
A look through the files of the Kilsyth Chronicle
This week in 2004
FLOWER SHOW: After a lapse of two years. Kilsyth’s Horticultural Society hoped to revive the town’s Flower Show – and that there would be plenty of entries and some volunteer help on the day, as well as sponsorship from businesses. Saturday, September 10 was the date fixed, and Burngreen Hall was set to be the venue. There were plenty of trophies up for grabs, as well as prizes in each class and it was hoped to introduce a novice section for those who had never exhibited before. There was also to be a section for children, floral art, and a domestic section.
This week in 1964
HELSINKI TRIP: Five Kilsyth folk travelled to Finland to attend the Pentecostal World Conference in Helsinki. There they expected to meet up again with young people who visited Kilsyth a fortnight earlier.
This week in 1954
CIVIC RECEPTION: Kilsyth was “all agog with excitement” when the successful Rangers football team arrived in the town with their latest trophy. The Miners’ Welfare Band turned out and a large crowd gave them a rousing welcome. A parade of the town took place, players holding aloft the five trophies gained that season, along with the league championship flag. The Chronicle reported: “Lady supporters were also mounted on motor vehicles in the parade.” The players and invited guests assembled in the Imperial Restaurant for the civic reception arranged by the Town Council. A splendid tea was purveyed by Messrs Dawson and Sons after Grace had been said by Provost Abercrombie.
This week in 1924
SUMMER TRIP: Twechar Parish Church Sunday School “scholars” and adult friends – “to the number of about 600” – went on a Saturday excursion to Saltcoats on a special train.