Handy Andy keeps Cumbernauld up with last kick of the season

Cumbernauld Rugby Club are safe from the threat of relegation from BT West Division 2 after a dramatic end to their final fixture of the season.

Thursday, 12th May 2016, 3:44 pm
Updated Thursday, 12th May 2016, 4:37 pm
Andrew Reid's last-gasp penalty ensured Cumbernauld's safety

A last gasp penalty ensured their survival as they won 19-17 at Clydebank in an action-packed encounter.
With the last meaningful kick of the ball stand-off Andrew Reid converted his third consecutive penalty to keep his side safe from relegation in dramatic fashion.
This fixture concluded a season of mixed success for the Badgers as they finished above Strathendrick and Arran in the league to give captain Jordan Reid and his players a measure of relief from the threat of relegation which had been hanging around the club for a number of weeks.
Indeed it lent an air of jubilation and celebration to the annual dinner and awards ceremony held in the clubhouse on Saturday night.
In the Clydebank game, Cumbernauld lost an early try when their rumbustious centre, who doubles as a hooker, ran through two tackles for his side’s opening touchdown.
Cumbernauld battled manfully and managed to cut the score deficit to four points when Jordan Reid converted a penalty following good support play from Jonny Kenny, Anthony Rice, Jordan Reid and Andrew Logan.
Craig Gough was also prominent, providing good foraging play, while Anthony Rice was the pick of the backs with his strong running style making frequent incursions into Clydebank territory.
Early in the second half Cumbernauld briefly took the lead when Ian Hepburn scored in the corner following great play from Michael McDonald, Andrew Logan and Jordan Reid.
Andrew Reid scored a great conversion from a tight angle.
But the lead was short-lived as Clydebank raced upfield to score their second try, again through their man-of-the-match centre.
As the match moved into its final quarter Cumbernauld could sense that their opponents were weakening and, despite conceding a penalty, man-of-the-match Andrew Reid converted three consecutive penalties to edge his side to a very narrow but well-deserved 19-17 victory.
After the match club president Jim Cochrane said: “That was a bit of a nail-biter but great credit to all the players for never giving up.

“I would like to add my thanks to all the players who have represented our first XV throughout the season as all their hard work has been vindicated with our continued survival in Division 2.”