Sinclair has uphill battle to beat drop

Renfrew Juniors 2Kilsyth Rangers 0Stagecoach West of Scotland Super League, First Division

Thursday, 8th April 2010, 12:01 pm
Updated Thursday, 8th April 2010, 12:02 pm

THIS was new manager Eric Sinclair's first game in charge and with no time to make any significant input or changes, merely served to confirm the enormity of the task he faces in trying to save Rangers from relegation this year.

It was very much the same scenario as the fans have come to expect over the last few months - some pretty football at times, but with absolutely no threat up-front and, at the other end, conceding soft goals.

With ten league matches remaining the position is not impossible but realistically at least five or six wins are needed to escape the drop.

Renfrew were quick off the mark and straight from the kick-off went into attacking mode; indeed they were making a penalty claim within the first few seconds when the ball struck a Kilsyth defender.

Within two minutes Dukes was having to show his worth with a fine save from a shot by Reid. The opening goal was not long delayed though, Murray lost the ball and McLean took the chance with a cracking drive past Dukes, the same old story yet again.

Renfrew continued to press and it was quarter of an hour gone before Rangers had their first significant attack. A little later and D Waters made a chance when he managed to get around the home keeper but hit the sidenet with his effort. For the most part though, it was Renfrew who were enjoying the best of the action and could have added to their score on more than one occasion but for good work by Duke saving the day several times.

Near the interval and Dalrymple made a very good run into the Renfrew box but his shot was blocked by a defender.

Renfrew carried on after the break very much as they had left off and it was little time before Rangers came back into it. A change was made with Neville replacing L Waters and later Williamson came on for McJimpsey. Neither substitution made much of an impact on the pattern of the game although it must be said that McJimpsey had one of his best showings since coming in.

For a while Rangers had shown some nice play but as always without seriously threatening the Renfrew goal and it came as little surprise when with ten minutes to go a second goal from CAMERON ended any hopes Rangers might have had of taking even one point from the match. To their credit the playes did not give up and continued to try and get at least a consolation score up until the final whistle but to no avail. Much work and big changes are needed before a turnaround can be achieved.

KILSYTH: Duke, McPeake, Carr, Doyle, Murray, McGinty, McJimpsey, L. Waters, D. Waters, Dalrymple, Kelly. Subs: Neville, Williamson, Tough, O'Boyle.

RENFREW: Sexton, Hammond, Gordon, Currie, Shearer, Dickie, Welsh, Cameron, Reid, McLean, Crowhurst. Subs: Quigley, Prentice, Forbes, Gray, Maxwell.

Game this Saturday is a home league game against Whittlets Victoria. Kick-off 2 pm.