Surprise point for United

Share this article

Clydebank 2 Cumbernauld United 2

Stagecoach Super League

Division 1

TOP of the league Clydebank and basement contenders Cumbernauld served up an exciting contest with United belying their league position by giving the Bankies a bit of a fright. Make no mistake with a bit of luck United might just have plucked the three points from a Bankie’s side growing more desperate.

As the game reached the closing stages, with Ross Hayman and James Brown retaining their places from last week, and Kevin Watt starting up front, United attacked the home side from kick off forcing three early corners.

The first 20 minutes were controlled by United and then the game levelled off with end to end football.

United then gave the home side a severe shock when on 26 minutes midfielder Gary Gibson, on the ball 25 yards out, fired in a looping shot that flew past keeper Campbell into the net to put United 1-0 ahead - supergoal.

Bankies now realised that United weren’t here to make up the numbers and started to get into the game. After 34 minutes they got the equaliser when midfielder Martin with back to goal, fired in an overhead kick from close range.

Bankies at this stage had the upper hand and minutes later after some continual pressure, Dallas made it 2-1 to the home side firing home a low shot from the right of the penalty area past Davie Buchanan.

So the home side went in at half time with their tails up. Could United now avoid defeat? Well, not only did they do so, they gave the league leaders a real contest in the second half and one could see the fear of dropping points in the home side.

United’s back and midfield fought well and hard and kept the home attacks at bay. The home side threw sub on after sub and after 77 minutes United got the equaliser they deserved.

Winning two consecutive corners the home defence couldn’t clear the second one and Paul Thompson took advantage and hit home the equaliser. The last ten minutes saw both sides fight for the winner with United maybe just having the edge. With two minutes to go, a header by Kevin Watt was cleared off the line by Bankies Moffat denying United a winning strike.

A well won point for United and certainly a dent in Bankies championship target, but all praise to a fighting United who showed that they can still play football and one can see the balance in their game returning at a crucial period of the season.

Clydebank: Campbell, Moffat, Crawford, Allum, Campbell, Martin, Hailstones, McKinnon, Dallas, Dymok, Hobbs. Subs: McPherson, Bissett, McComish, McAdam, Highlands, Green, Gonet.

United: Buchanan, Hayman, McLay, Marsa, Dearie, Barclay, Gibson, Watts, Ferns, Thomson, Brown. Subs: Jarvis, McNally, McPhee, Mushet, Allan, Morrison, McDaid.

This week’s fixtures - Tonight (Wednesday) United play Vale of Clyde in another crucial league game, kick off 6.45pm. On Saturday coming, they make the journey down to Glenafton in another crucial league encounter. Can they collect six points from both games, well let’s hope so. Saturday’s game is as usual, 2pm kick off.